Friday, March 13, 2015

Waterfowl Watch

'Tis the time of year when lots of waterfowl arrives. Often we see them a bit earlier, but late this week there was a good movement.
I took my usual drive up the St. Clair River past Sombra today, and noted lots of ducks and geese.
The river is getting more and more open each day.



At Cathcart Park north of Sombra, I got out for a walk as there were hundreds of birds on the river there.  Scanning through hundreds of geese, I picked out four Greater White-fronted Geese standing on the ice.  They are pretty uncommon in this locale as I have only seen them a couple of times before.  (Two years ago we had 11 at Fawn Island at the end of February).




I only had the Canon G16 camera and the lighting was not good so it is only a 'record' photo.



Some American Wigeon were present as well.  Quite often we get one or two trying to winter, but not this year!

At one point the waterfowl perked up and started making noise.  I turned around to see a Bald Eagle perched in a tree.



Casualties of the harsh winter are plentiful.  Canvasbacks were hardest hit.



Inland it is still pretty bleak for birds save for a few Killdeer and Red-winged Blackbirds.  Eastern Meadowlarks should be showing up as well.  Lots of snow still to melt though.

I have been going for a quick walk at Brander Park, Port Lambton each morning, but nothing until today when a couple of American Robins were wondering how to find some food!  No berries left and the ground still has too much snow and ice.

This weekend we should turn up some things....I hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment