Thursday, February 19, 2015

Ducks on the Move

I am sure most of you could name the insects in the previous post (LOL).  In order of appearance:
Aphrodite Fritillary at MacGregor Point PP
Calico Pennant (m) at MacGregor
Dukes' Skipper at Reid CA
Striped Hairstreak north of here somewhere!
Halloween Pennant at Point Pelee NP
Southern (Northern Oak) Hairstreak at Reid CA
Southern (Northern Oak) Hairstreak at Reid CA
Eastern Amberwing at cannot remember where!
Bronze Copper at Hillman Marsh
Painted Skimmer at Rondeau PP

With this wacky weather continuing, any open water is fast disappearing.  This morning I watched many ducks heading south and many flying erratically.  Probably they were looking for open water.

Looks pretty bleak to me!


Most were Canvasback, but some Redhead, Common Goldeneye and mergansers.
There is no open water that I know of in the area, but I suspect they are getting hungry just like last year.  With little open water, feeding areas are at a premium!

Algoma ship struggling in the ice in the distance


Same thing at noon.  I ate my lunch at downtown Port Lambton and there were dozens of ducks heading south.



Last year at this time we were finding ducks wandering the countryside and dead ducks all over.



No comments:

Post a Comment