Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pelee: Lodes of Odes

I like to try and get to Point Pelee once a week during fall migration if possible.  A Tip lakewatch is always fun, but this weekend the winds were not suitable for that.  Although there were quite a few Common Terns and Bonaparte's Gulls moving this morning, the north winds that kicked in Friday night were good for passserines.  As well, when it warms up, good for insects!

A strange pigeon is lurking around the Tip.....



I arrived at the park and met up with Mike Nelson and Steve Pike for the first tram to the Tip.  Lots of warblers were moving through at the VC, as well as thrushes.
It was one of those picture perfect days where you could not ask for nicer weather.  It was rather pleasant standing at the Tip this morning, as there were a few landbirds coming to the spot and a few things out over the water.

Lots of dragonflies were flying, although 98% were Common Green Darners.  At one point, I noticed a dragonfly perched atop a dead tree.  It was not close and I looked at it with binoculars for a bit.  Since it looked a bit different from any that I have seen before,  I got Steve and Mike on it.  I got a little closer to try and take photos.



We had already talked about saddlebags, and Striped had crossed our minds.  It thought it looked pretty good for Striped, but since I had no experience with them, it was not certain.  Unfortunately it took off when it got a good look at Steve.  (LOL!).
Later, Steve got out his field guide and it seemed to match a male Striped Saddlebags!

Just the past Tuesday, Bill Lamond had spotted one of these creatures.  It was only the second time Striped was recorded at Pelee. Back in October 2010 there were a few seen for the first time at Pelee.
They are at home in Texas, but sometimes wander far north in late summer and into fall.

Moving on, we later walked up the east side to Sparrow Field sorting through all the green darners.


female Common Whitetail
Continuing up west beach trail.....

Near the serengeti tree, we came across a Common Checkered-Skipper.  Not sure if any have been recorded within the park yet this year, but here is a photo:



Not long after, a duskywing caught our attention.  It turned out to be a worn female Wild Indigo.  Frankly, it was the largest Wild Indigo I have ever seen!



After that walk, Steve had to leave, so I went up to the Cactus Trail.  Lots of insects there including some darners.  There were Mottled and Lance-tipped for sure.

Mottled Darner


I encountered a few birds, including my first Lincoln's Sparrow of the fall.  These sparrows quietly migrate through and are not often seen!



The trail is rather overgrown.  Not sure why the park takes on these projects and then does no maintenance.  I came out covered in tick trefoil seeds!  That discouraged Jeremy Hatt, whom I met as I exited the trail!



I decided to walk west beach trail again (the usual one south of west beach parking lot).  I came across another Common Checkered-Skipper, although the sun was in the wrong direction.



More darners.  Seemed to be quite a few of these today, as well as Lance-tipped.  One I believe to be a Green-striped.



For a footnote, Shadow Darner has not been recorded within the park.  It has been found outside the park, and is somewhat common elsewhere, so it is an oddity.

After a check of North-west Beach area, I reluctantly headed home.

Stay tuned for more reports from Point Pelee!

1 comment:

  1. Bill Lamond stated in his recent post that the Point Pelee National Park "square" did not have any records for Shadow Darner!

    ReplyDelete