Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Outing



We actually had some nice weather this morning.  Still too cold, but the skies were clear as I headed to Point Pelee.  Not much has changed; the snow has not melted and there was even more ice than two and three weeks ago!  Red-winged Blackbirds were everywhere though....a sign of early spring.

First decent bird was a Snowy Owl atop a tree along Wheatley Road near Hornick Road.  I suspect it is the same one that I saw back in December south of the big curve since they tend to stay in one area.

Tip Corridor!

The red morph screech owl was showing off again as I drove through the park.  It was not poking out when I went out!
I went for a walk at the Tip area but no open water was visible.  The same wintering birds were around such as Yellow-rumped Warbler, Fox Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow and Purple Finch.



A walk along Shuster Trail revealed some of the same birds such as Hermit Thrush.


I checked around Hillman Marsh and very few geese were present.  Some were out on the lake as seen from NE Hillman.  I managed to pick out a Greater White-fronted Goose.  No doubt it was one of the ones Jeremy Hatt saw yesterday.  No Red-necked Grebes were to be found.....

I scoped from Wheatley as well and still no Red-necked Grebes.  Dean Ware was looking as well trying to get one for his yard list!

I drove along the lake to Erieau Road and home.  Not much to see.



It needs to warm up and melt all this snow and ice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment