Friday, March 7, 2014

Spring-like Day!

Today was the nicest day yet we have had this year.  Temperature was finally above zero and the sun was out in a mainly cloudless sky.
Red-winged Blackbirds were flying over and some hawks moving around.  Most notable this morning was what was unquestionably a "Krider's" Red-tailed Hawk lazily going over the marina.  All in the timing, as I went outside several times today.  I have only seen one of these before many years ago, also in March.

I took off from work in mid afternoon and headed upriver, as it was just too nice to be in. The sun was too bright to do much looking at ducks.
The Daldean was out of the slip attempting to move some ice away.  The river has opened up quite a bit.


I went for a walk at Cathcart Park and a Red-necked Grebe was fairly close.  I only had my G16 camera though.
highly cropped!

Lots of Red-necked Grebes have been reported lately and the post today from Alan Wormington about 36 off Hillman was interesting.  About a month ago we were seeing some grebes appearing at various spots due to the well-known fact that they were being frozen out of their wintering areas.



While at Cathcart Park, I did not notice a Merlin sitting atop a tree at the parking lot until Josh Bouman pointed it out.  It was actually the first one I have seen all winter!  Like many birds this winter, Merlins have been few and far between.

This morning on the way to work, I took Whitebread Line and spotted a Snowy Owl.  It appeared to be a lighter individual compared to the one I saw earlier in the week along Langstaff Line.



Sounds like the weather will go downhill overnight.  But, afterall it IS the weekend.



2 comments:

  1. There's been a merlin hanging around the silage pile on the Gore Rd for the past 2 and a half weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Merlin was probably a spring migrant. Today I had a tiny male zipping north over the A&W in Leamington --- right on schedule for a spring migrant here.

    ReplyDelete