Saturday, August 17, 2013

Some 'goon Birding

Another fine day weatherwise, so I did a bit of a tour.  I started at Rondeau and did a quick walk of a portion of south point trail.  There was not really anything of note except a female Purple Finch.
I then headed over to Blenheim which seemed to be the highlight of the day.  The one weedless sprinkler cell was full of shorebirds!

I estimated somewhere in the neighbourhood of 200 bird packed into that cell.  There were at least 13 species (plus 2 Red-necked Phalaropes in pond 1).

Took some time to sort through, but I did not find any rarities.  Thought for sure a Western Sandpiper was hidden in the mass (or mess?).  There was one Baird's, 7 Stilt, 5 Solitary, and about 10 Short-billed Dowitchers among the others.  One Wilson's Phalarope was amongst them.

In pond 1 two Wilson's and two Red-necked Phalaropes were swimming around.  They were reported yesterday too.
Wilson's Phalarope (mid)

After an early lunch, I decided to head over to Port Stanley lagoons.  Habitat is good there in cells 1 & 2 for shorebirds.  Here I found 13 species, including at least one Baird's and one Wilson's Phalarope.  Some Solitary Sandpipers were in front of viewing stand #2 at cells 3 & 4.
A Solitary Sandpiper

A Great Egret and several Great Blue Herons were present also.

Since Fingal WMA was nearby, I stopped there as well and went for a walk.  A Canada Warbler was along the forest edge with a pair of American Redstarts.

Spiked Blazing Star


A darner in the shadows

On the way home I stopped at Ridgetown lagoons.  Not too many birds today!  A few species of shorebirds, but I did not see the Wilson's Phalarope that Kory Renaud reported yesterday.

Seems Blenheim is the hotspot right now.  Keep checking as we may not get in after Labour Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment