Wednesday, July 24, 2013

More Insects in Bruce

I was interested in anything  especially insects, since breeding birds were still on territory and many were still singing. Regarding warblers, Black-throated Green Warblers and American Redstarts topped the list.

I did not see many shorebirds, but a couple of Greater Yellowlegs were near the north end of MacGregor.

Quite often a number of shorebirds will take advantage of the wide expanse of Singing Sands beach at Dorcas Bay, but on Monday morning only Killdeer were present.

I looked for dragonflies on my travels, seeing mostly common things.  Darners gave me trouble especially when I did not get a good look at them!  A number of different species were around the wetland on Tower Trail in the park.  Here are some:
Chalk-fronted Corporal (male)

Chalk-fronted Corporal (female for comparison)

White-faced Meadowhawks in wheel position

Canada Darner (?)

Eastern Pondhawk (male)

Dot-tailed Whiteface (male)

At Petrel Point, a large number of Calico Pennants were flying.  I also saw this one which I think is a Dusky Clubtail. I never got a good look or good photo. (let me know if I am wrong!)

Calico Pennant (male)

Dorcas Bay had lots of Ebony Jewelwings.

Variable Dancer

another darner!

Tuesday morning, I could see a thunderstorm to the south.  It was sunny until I got to Goderich where I had breakfast.  I checked out the path that crosses the old CPR railroad bridge.  The bridge was built in 1909 as the longest in Ontario at the time.  It is very high, and one can get a good view of the Maitland River and the harbour area.

I decided to head inland along highway 8 to briefly check Hullett Marsh.  A large place I have never been to!  I chose to go down Conservation Road and walk a bit of the trails.  Unfortunately it was brief as a rainstorm came in.  There were Grasshopper Sparrows there among other birds, and I am almost certain I heard a Dickcissel singing.  It was distant and the wind was strong with the incoming rain, but it sure sounded like one.  Habitat was decent anyway.

Since highway 8 heads towards Mitchell, I continued on over to West Perth Wetlands (head east on Frank Street off hwy 23 at the south edge of the village and turn right at a large soccer field).  That is always worth a stop in shorebird season.  Lots of birds were in, but nothing special.  A couple of Stilt Sandpipers were new for the year list.


Solitary Sandpiper

It rained most of the way home from there, so nothing else to report!

No comments:

Post a Comment