Saturday, June 15, 2013

Elusive Warblers and Other June Birds

I did quite a bit of driving around today.  I started at Rondeau early a calm and clear morning finding the usual breeding birds and summer residents.  Both cuckoos were heard, the usual flycatchers and some warblers including Ovenbird and Redstart.
As I drove through the park, I heard the Acadian Flycatcher calling on spicebush trail.



I walked out south point trail and the south beach a ways.  The lake was dead  calm, which was nice.  However, hardly anything was out there!  Lots of cormies (no little ones!).  I was hoping the Western Grebe had stuck around, but it looks like it was a two day wonder only.  One was reported at Headlands Beach directly across the lake in Ohio today, so it may be our bird!
Shorebirds included many Spotted Sandpipers, five 'latish' Sanderlings, and two Semipalmated Sandpipers.



Lots of undecided Bonaparte's Gulls were around.  They were sitting on the fence (at dog beach).





Around 8 a.m. I met Steve and Allen near the VC and we spent some time looking for the Yellow-throated Warblers.  They are extremely elusive birds!  Never saw one, but heard one singing a bit in a pine tree.  Several people have spent time to find conclusive evidence of nesting and breeding, but maybe it is just not going to be confirmed.
We first saw the pair on April 20, and on May 10 I described the one we saw gathering nesting material.  One would think fledglings would be around now, assuming there was a successful nesting.  Some possible nests have been sighted, but no activity around them by Yellow-throated Warblers.


After getting bored with not seeing the birds (!), I headed out of the park.  South of Morpeth, I noted three Northern Pintail flying by over the lake.  Speaking of ducks, Steve saw a Long-tailed Duck at Erieau this morning!

After lots of driving here and there, I ended up towards Strathroy again.  This time I did locate some Grasshopper Sparrows and heard one only Upland Sandpiper.  There are lots and lots of good pastures up that way especially along Walker's Line.  Napier Road is another good spot where I heard a couple of Grasshopper Sparrows.

No Dickcissels around here this year, yet.

(last year's)

As the county line forest was not far from there, I headed over to the Crown Land along Watterworth.  I went in for a walk, but of course early afternoon was rather quiet.  I had Hooded Warbler and Acadian Flycatcher right away, then one more of each farther in.


That place has really grown in since I was first in there 20 (!) years ago. Quite impenetrable in spots, but it still has good birds.  That is where the Magnolia Warbler was last weekend.

Not many butterflies today, but Least Skippers are out.



No comments:

Post a Comment