Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pelee Scenes

With a change in scenery needed, I went for some birding at Point Pelee today.  Besides, there was a nice Hudsonian Godwit at Hillman that needed to be seen.  Not often I see one in the spring.  I arrived sometime around 07:15 and the hudwit was actively feeding not far from the blind.  I attempted a photo, but it was just too far away.

As I drove into Pelee, Blackpoll Warblers were singing along the way.  I walked the short part of Woodland Trail then to the road and there was quite a bit of activity.  It lessened the farther south I went though.  Lots of vireos and several species of warblers were singing.

One Mourning Warbler was beside the trail, but my camera did not want to co-operate for this one.  (or was it the operator?).

At the Tip a few gulls were loafing and a couple of decent-sized flocks of Dunlin came in.  A Northern Mockingbird was lurking at the Tip as well that was somewhat camera shy.  There was mention of a Clay-colored Sparrow, but I did not find it.

I did a bit of birding with Mike Nelson and we discussed recent birds.  Seems like Rondeau has been better of late! lol. (not the first one to indicate that).

My next walk was De Laurier.  Near the end of the trail I saw a Yellow-billed Cuckoo and an then a Common Nighthawk in the sky caught my eye.

I walked down Anders and it was apparent that three nighthawks were flying around.  I attempted some photos.  Actually these were the first of the year for me.  Often I seem more in migration in September than in the spring.




My first of year American Lady butterflies were along Anders.

Also I saw the first couple of spicebush swallowtails whilst driving along the road.
As well, I saw a Carolina Saddlebags dragonfly at the De Laurier homestead.

On the way home I again stopped at Hillman and walked all the way around the shorebird cell.  The only butterflies were two Orange Sulphurs!
The Hudsonian was still in place and at one point a Wilson's Phalarope was right beside it.

By this time, about 600+ Black-bellied Plover was resting in the cell along with about a dozen Ruddy Turnstones.  The only different shorebird was a Short-billed Dowitcher.

Lots of toitles were basking in the sun at Hillman including Blandings.



No comments:

Post a Comment