Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Rondeau Area Birds

Yesterday's post created a bit of a stir.  I deliberately posted the photo of that dark-mantled gull in hopes of getting some response.  Although there was only one comment on the blog itself, a number of people had no problem calling that a Slaty-backed Gull. It will become a new Rondeau bird!  I think the area list now stands at 356 or there-abouts.  Thanks to all who provided info or help.

As far as we can determine, the bird was at Erieau 11 December 2005.  Don't ask me why all this came to light just now, as I have no explanation!  The photo was taken by Steve Charbonneau and I did see the bird at the time.  I think we thought it to be a hybrid of sorts at the time.  By some miracle, I saved the photo (I always back up files and photos regularly).
From time to time I looked at the photo and always thought it looked much like a Slaty-backed Gull because so many thing just seemed to fit.
Nice to add a bird to your list without much effort!

That White-winged Dove was last seen alive February 6.  It probably became lunch for an accipiter!


Spring migrants are showing up.  Yesterday there was a Ross's Goose near Erieau among other things.
More ducks are showing up on the St. Clair River too.
Tundra Swans seem to be appearing where there were none before.
I am ready for spring!

1 comment:

  1. Today Richard Carr counted 17 White-fronted Geese at SE Hillman Marsh. And I saw a spanking clean male Wood Duck at Wheatley Harbour, inside a flock of 130 Redhead!

    ReplyDelete