Saturday, February 9, 2013

More St. Clair River Scenes and Owls

No wind and clear skies today!  The river was jammed with ice all the way to the south end of Sombra this morning, but later in the day the ice was moving and some clear areas were found.  Not many ducks were to be seen early this morning even though I went as far as Shell.


The busiest spot as usual was at LGS, so I sat there for some time.  Nothing new except yet another apparent "Nelson's" Gull.  This time a first cycle, so now we have had an adult, a second cycle and this one today.

I only picked out two Lesser Black-backed Gulls today, but there were fewer gulls to choose from.



Still lots of Glaucous of course in the area--up to 20 perhaps.

And no Kumlien's Iceland today that I could find.
A couple of male Gadwall swam by at one point, and a White-winged Scoter drifted dowriver later.


Lots of swans in the area of Cathcart Park including the two Trumpeters.

Inland, I went for a walk at McKellar on Bickford Line and found 7 Long-eared Owls. All were bunched in one pine tree, but flushed before I got anywhere near them!

Later I flushed another owl unexpectedly, and I have no idea what it was.  It was fairly large though so it may well have been a Great-Horned.
In the vicinity I found a pile of Wild Turkey feathers!  There were signs of a struggle, but obviously some big raptor took it down.  Maybe the Great-Horned?  Marks in the snow were fresh so it could have happened during the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment