Saturday, January 26, 2013

New Rondeau Bird-a Dove!

Today I started out on the St. Clair River.  I was not seeing anything new, but I received a call from Jim Burk down in Rondeau Park. He was looking at a White-winged Dove!  I was just south of LGS, so after informing Josh Bouman there, I headed straight to Rondeau.  I arrived at the VC in about an hour and all I saw was a Mourning Dove among other feeder birds.
After 15 minutes while waiting with Allen Woodliffe, POOF!  The special dove got up from behind the board fence and went to a tree. It was there all along, hunkered down on the blind side of the fence.  We managed to get good photos, and while there, an American Robin came in.  It eventually decided to perch beside the White-winged Dove.




This is only the second one I have gone after in Ontario.  The first one I saw was near St. Clair NWA July 9, 2002.  It was a new bird for my Rondeau list!



Afterwards I drove around outside the park and did not see much.  But I received another call about 3 Greater-White-fronted Geese near Erieau.  Obviously these were the ones from Ridgetown that disappeared a week ago.  A bit too distant for satisfactory photos.

Some more ducks on the St. Clair...



4 comments: