Saturday, August 18, 2012

Yard Butterflies and Stuff

Least Sandpipers

This morning I decided to check out Strathroy Lagoons.  This place has lots of potential with large lagoons and trees surrounding them and open space.  There is some mud, but not many shorebirds today.  Lots of trees around to collect songbirds and open spaces with weedy areas.  This is certainly one of the more pleasant lagoon sites to visit.
Deepwater Yellowlegs

I wish it was a bit closer, as it takes just over an hour to get there from home.
Fiery Skipper at Strathroy

On the way home I stopped at McKeough CA.  A few Flag-tailed Spinylegs were still flying, but I could not get on one for a photo.
A few butterflies, including a Gray Hairstreak!  First one I have had there.

A Gray Comma was nice.  They are common in this area.

Eastern Tailed-Blue

I also stopped at Port Lambton to check the gardens at Brander Park.  Just Fiery Skippers and Peck's Skippers.  I am still holding out for a Sachem there!
Peck's Skipper

Just after I got home, I noticed a Gray Hairstreak nectaring on Black-eyed Susan.  Not a first for the yard, but been a very long time.

I did some relaxing this afternoon on the back porch and noticed a Common Checkered-Skipper flying around.

Tomorrow....??  Thought of Pelee, but last night's forecast said light south winds for Sunday, this afternoon they said west, now its east.  Ridiculous!  No degree of accuracy anymore!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like we're entering the "Dog days of summer" with high pressure and light winds... The lakes will end up doing whatever they feel like with the wind...

    Hope things work out for you tomorrow, where ever you go!

    ReplyDelete