Friday, August 17, 2012

White-M at Erieau!

It was a rather slow day today, however one good thing can make the day.  I hung around the home area till mid morning, then decided to head to Rondeau.  Not many flowers out except Joe Pye-Weed and goldenrod and a few others that were wilting.  At one point I found a Peck's Skipper and a Fiery Skipper.  I did not see much at Rondeau, so moved to Blenheim Lagoons.  Little to see there as well!  I had a Common-checkered Skipper there yesterday which was a first for me at that location.  Not surprising as I had expected it long ago.  Saw one or two today as well.
Common checkered-Skipper at Erieau!

Next stop was Erieau. Along McGeachy Pond dike I immediately saw two Gray Hairstreaks together.  Maybe a sign of good things?  However, hardly any flowers out and few butterflies as I walked.  Then I saw a checkered skipper.  Not surprising, but new for there as well!
Common Gray-Hairstreaks


As I walked along, there was more Queen Anne's Lace alongside the trail.  At one point I saw a flash of iridescent blue.  I knew exactly what it was--a White-M Hairstreak!  It landed atop a flower and stayed there for a while.
It was quite windy today, so it was challenging to get photos as it swayed in the wind.  How interesting, as I just sent greetings to Bruce Ripley last night on his find of one of these beauties near Kingston yesterday.
I have seen one before August 12, 2008 on Pelee Island.  I was spending three days on the island with the bird observatory people.  It was an enjoyable trip exploring the island, and needless to say the White-M was a highlight.  Adam Pinch can attest to my excitement with that find!
Here is today's butterfly:




I fully expect there will be more rare finds of butterflies this summer and fall.  It has been an exceptional year unparalleled to any other.










Some odes at Pelee on Wednesday:

Spot-winged glider

Variegated Meadowhawk


Wandering Glider

2 comments:

  1. Your insect posts are keeping me going right now! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, here... as a newbey when it comes to butterflies and odes, I'm learning a lot from you crazy bloggers.

    ReplyDelete