Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Horrific Day



As I drove to work this morning, I heard on the news that there was a massive fire at a marina in Port Lambton.  I was behind a line of spruce trees, so could not see in that direction.  My heart sank as I could see a huge plume of black smoke from just outside Wallaceburg.  Here we go again I thought.  A big fire in March 1992 destroyed 29 boats and our antique speedboat.


As usual, the news on the radio was not clear, so I had no idea what building was involved as I raced to the scene.  Upon arrival I could see the west end of storage building 2 in flames.  There was no stopping this blaze with close to 70 boats and several fancy cars inside.  It is still burning as I write this at 5 p.m.
Apparently the blaze started around 7 a.m.  I heard what the likely cause was, but I will refrain from mentioning it here (a freak accident?).  With some boats within worth over a million each, you can imagine the terrific cost of damage here.
Remarkably, an identical building only twenty feet beside it was saved by the hard-working firefighters.  It was amazing it did not go up with the tremendous heat involved.
Naturally, I could not get to my work building, so for the first couple of hours I stayed at friend's place down the road. We had some ongoing work in the building, so there is a loss there.  Things are very tough right now as it is.
The smoke could be seen from long distances.  Even residents across Lake St. Clair around Belle River could see the plume.

My work building at far right....





I did not have my camera this morning, although I almost brought it today.  I came back later to snap some photos.  Afterwards, I drove upriver and into the back country looking for birds.  As this incredible lack of birds 'trend' continues, I found practically nothing!




Submitted photos:




A link to a news story:
http://m.torontosun.com/2011/12/20/marina-fire-causes-millions-in-damage-air-quality-concerns


Kaye E. Barker near Courtright
(note smoke at far left)


Tundra Swans near Sombra

No comments:

Post a Comment