Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hot Stuff

Another steaming hot day.  One never knows what the day will bring as weather forecasts have little degree of accuracy.  We were supposed to get rain quite a bit all week. Not a drop!  Weather forecast for Sunday changed again--changes every time I look at it!
Anyway, I headed down to Rondeau Park today as I have not been there in several weeks.  It was actually quite good for birds with lots of warblers (15 species) and vireos.  Many American Redstarts, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Blackpoll Warblers.  First warbler I looked at was an immature Mourning.  Nice to see lots of birds for a change.
Next stop was Erieau, but I did not spend much time there.  Many Buckeye butterflies along McGeachy Pond.

Little to see in the fields as practically no onions planted this year. The only interesting thing was some kind of oil slick in the lake along McGeachy Pond.  It was quite extensive.

Up at Blenheim Lagoons (had to check anyway!) I found a Horned Grebe in pond 3.  Some Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs were along the edge.
Since it was before noon, I decided I might as well go to Point Pelee and check for butterflies that would be out.  It was somewhat disappointing in that regard (maybe too hot!), but lots of Buckeye were there as well.



Birds along West Beach Trail included a number of warblers (Palm was one I did not see at Rondeau).  A Savannah Sparrow was just south of half way point.

At the Leamington Soccer Fields, dozens of Killdeer were out and a few Black-bellied Plover.  I did not spot a Buff-breasted Sandpiper though, but perhaps I missed one.






Blackpoll Warbler

On the way home I stopped at Tilbury Lagoon.  The shorebirds spot is now dry mud, but good for plovers.  I was expecting Buff-breasted there as well, but it was not to be.  Nothing of note in the big pond.
Tilbury Egret

A did spot a single Fiery Skipper here.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if there might be some effect of the hurricane that went up the east coast. Sounds like you had a good day at Rondeau and Pelee

    ReplyDelete