Sunday, June 19, 2011

More Ramblings

Detroit Skyline from the mouth of St. Clair R.

Another nice weather day.  I decided to take advantage and go out in the boat.  This time downriver to Lake St. Clair.  It was a nice ride, but there was certainly a lack of birds.  Where are they this year?  Only four Mallards plus a female with young.  Quite often I see Redhead.  No gulls, and only a few Forster's Terns.  Black Terns have immensely declined the last ten+ years or so.  No heron types, and certainly not a pelican!

Afterwards I headed inland to check various CA's north of Wallaceburg.  There are a multitude of places to visit for birds, butterflies and dragonflies.
At McKeough, there was a Pronghorn Clubtail (I think!).  I've had them there before.
Pronghorn Clubtail eating Euro Skipper






Up at Moore WMA on Bickford Line, more clubtails patrolling the river.  This one was a bit different.  Appears to be a Midland Clubtail.

The river crossing is excellent for viewing dragonflies at the right time.  I checked out some of the prairie area.   Lots of Silvery Checkerspots are freshly out.






The river crossing is excellent for viewing dragonflies at the right time.  
I checked out some of the prairie area.   Lots of Silvery Checkerspots are freshly out.



Silvery Checkerspot

Down the road at McKellar Tract, there are ponds that attract a wide variety of dragonflies.  I saw at least seven common species there.
male Widow Skimmer

male Twelve-spotted Skimmer

male Calico Pennant

Nothing new at Reid CA, but hairstreaks should be out later this week.

female Long Dash

1 comment:

  1. Blake, nice posting. I've recently purchased a small butterfly guide and noticed there are a few butterflies that look like a Pearl Crescent, including the Silvery Checkerspot included in this posting. I might have to go back and take a look at what I've been labelling.

    ReplyDelete