Friday, May 13, 2011

More Rondeau Birding

Wednesday was tough birding.  Just not much around....again!  Highlight was a Fox Sparrow that I found on South Point Trail.  A rather late bird.


Flocks of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were in the park.  They are common, and the males are especially attractive.  I remember when I was still in high school I saw one in the backyard and had no idea what it was.  I had to look it up in a book!



Thursday was a fabulous day--the best yet for Rondeau at least.  The rain hit at the right time before sunrise and birds dropped in.  Many species had increased numbers.  Flocks of Baltimore Orioles were on South Point Trail. 

Red-eyed Vireos and Eastern Wood Peewees finally came in.  Lots of warblers were around with significant numbers of Chestnut-sided and Magnolia.  I saw my first of the year Mourning Warbler on Spicebush Trail. More flycatchers were in, including Yellow-bellied.  A whole group of Scarlet Tanagers were on the maintenance loop.
This Chestnut-sided Warbler was on the ground.  Probably tired from migration:



Canada Warbler

I found a Clay-colored Sparrow on South point Trail first thing.  I seem to be doing well with less common sparrows--Grasshopper, Le Conte's, Fox, Clay-colored....



This morning, Friday, was very foggy. 

The birds from yesterday obviously left ahead of the fog, as birding was somewhat slow today.  Some of the "later" birds showed up including Black-billed Cuckoo and other warblers.  A Merlin is frequenting the north end of the park.  I first saw it last Friday and it was still around today.



Sandhill Cranes seem more plentiful this year.  We flushed up a pair on a side trail off South Point.  If you think they are loud from a distance, just wait until they are right beside you!
At the VC feeders, Purple Finches and Pine Siskins among other birds were actively feeding.  Yesterday, a Tree Sparrow and a Dark-eyed Junco were there along with a Clay-colored Sparrow.

1 comment:

  1. Blake, I think I saw your car near the maintenance compound. I also got a look at the Cuckoo. It was painfully slow today at Rondeau...

    ReplyDelete