Saturday, June 19, 2010

More Butterflies!


Today I had the itch to check out Point Pelee for butterflies.  Of course I watch for birds as well, but this is a slow time of year for birds.  Weather was very good for butterflies--sunny and warm.  I must add, the weather forecast was totally wrong yet again!  Good grief, why do they even bother?
I did my usual circuit of walking down East Beach first thing, then up West Beach Trail.  Quite a few Orange Sulphurs were out. 

Orange Sulphur

Summer Azures were very common of course, and a few Red Admirals were around.
Highlight on the East Beach near the Tip was a Common Buckeye. 

Common Buckeye

This is one of my favourite butterflies (why not?).  I had one butterfly go past me earlier that I thought was a Buckeye as well.

Silver-spotted Skipper

As I headed up the west side from the Tip, a small yellow butterfly caught my eye.  I knew immediately it was a Little Sulphur (or Little Yellow). 

Little Sulphur

It has been a few years since I have seen one.  I saw my first one at Rondeau on the very first butterfly count I ever did in 1999.
Great Spangled Fritillaries were out.  These were the first ones I have seen this year.
 Great Spangled Fritillary

I had quite a few butterflies up the west side trail, but nothing unusual.  After lunch, I headed down West Beach Trail (s. of V. C.) again, but there were hardly any butterflies.  Strange, as there should have been more with the mid-day sun!  Timing is everything I guess.
Dragonflies were scarce, but more plentiful at the north end of the park.  Blue Dashers, Eastern Pondhawks and Giant Green Darners were common.  I also saw Widow Skimmer and Black Saddlebags.

female blue Dasher

The only swallowtail I saw was a Giant as I was driving the road leaving the park.
A few Question Marks and American Lady butterflies were out and about.

American Lady (worn)

This afternoon I spotted a Coral Hairstreak north of Wallaceburg.
Coral Hairstreak


Banded Hairstreak


Edwards' Hairstreak

 More Banded Hairstreaks were out.  Milkweed is coming into bloom which is one of their favourite nectaring plants.  If you have Milkweeds near Oak trees, you will have hairstreaks!
You will note that many of the butterflies are on Indian Hemp or Dogbane.  This plant is extremely attractive to butterflies for nectaring.  So, if you see Dogbane or Indian Hemp, take a closer look!

No comments:

Post a Comment