Monday, May 17, 2010

Some More Birding

Great-crested Flycatcher


Yesterday, Sunday, I went back to Rondeau.  It seems birds have been getting fewer and fewer since last Friday.  Today, Monday, was very disappointing.  We are due for some new birds!
White-eyed Vireos have been scarce, but a few more have come in.  One was on South Point Trail early Sunday.  I did quite a bit of walking first thing, then decided to go out Marsh Trail.  The birds were rather numerous out there, probably due to the easterly winds.  I found a good 15 species of warblers, plus several Scarlet Tanagers. 

The most plentiful specie was Yellow-rumped Warbler, surprisingly.  Yellow would surpass that, but as for migrants, the Yellow-rumped Warblers I saw totalled at least 35.  There were several Wilson's, as expected for this time of year.

Blackburnian Warbler

Sedge Wrens were calling in their habitat.  Some do stay to breed out there.
After lunch I headed down the backside of South Point Trail in hopes of seeing the reported Kentucky Warbler.  I did hear it sing three times, but it was rather far off the trail, and it would not have been a good idea to pursue it.  I did not need to see it anyway.
With all other areas covered, I ventured outside the park, first stopping at Blenheim Lagoons.  The reported Red-necked Phalarope was present keeping company with a pair of Mallards in the first pond.  Phalaropes are pretty this time of year, so it is always nice to see them.
Before arriving, I was unaware that a female Yellow-headed Blackbird was present, so I looked for it.  It was difficult to find, as it was feeding in long grass.  We have had this species here before, but not in recent years.

Next stop was Erieau.  Lots of gulls were present, including the long-staying Glaucous Gull.  Several Little Gulls were around, but I only spotted one. 
A couple of days ago a Black-tailed Gull was reported.  Apparently there is an odd Lesser Black-backed Gull around that mimics and Black-tailed, so this is perhaps the bird that was actually seen!
Shorebirds included four early Whimbrel.  Usually this specie shows up in large numbers along the lakeshores around the Holiday Weekend.
In the evening, I was determined to hear Whip-poor-wills, so I staked out the Visitor Centre Area.  The first bird started calling at 8:59 p.m.  I heard two others. ....Finally!
Monday morning my plan was to walk out the south beach to the end of the sandspit.  I try to do this once a year.  There has been considerable erosion out there and many trees lost.  Some spots were difficult to get through.
leucistic Bonaparte's Gull

At one point, the Glaucous Gull flew past me coming from the east.  Lots of gulls were on the water, including Little Gulls. 
I managed to get a decent look at the leucistic Bonaparte's Gull.  I first saw this bird May 13.
Two Dunlin with Sanderling

Shorebirds included three Ruddy Turnstones, three Dunlin, one Sanderling and the Willet that was reported yesterday.

Dunlin with Three Ruddy Turnstones

The only warbler out there besides Yellow, was a Northern Waterthrush. For some reason they are quite reliably seen out there!
After checking out Erieau later, I went home early as there was not much else to see. Probably should have stopped at Blenheim Lagoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment