Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weather and Birds


Needless to say, the weather is still at the forefront today. The prevailing NE weekend winds have struck again! It was actually snowing this morning. Things will warm up tomorrow once the weekend has passed. Something about this time of year when nine times out of ten the winds are out of the east on weekends. Mind boggling!

I went out anyway since I cannot get out birding during the week. Not surprisingly, there was not much to see. I started at Erieau and looked at ducks and gulls. A walk along McGeachy Pond dike revealed a couple of Brown Thrashers, a couple of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a few Cedar Waxwings.

I decided to go over to Rondeau since the rain had stopped. The same three Yellow-rumped Warblers were on Spicebush Trail among the kinglets. I checked out the Cooper's Hawk nest on south point trail. As soon as I approached, the bird came out of nowhere and started squawking. So, it looks like it is attempting to nest. Good to know for a big day in May!

Birds are obviously late this year. It varies every year. Only Yellow-rumped Warblers have been reported in Rondeau so far. By this time we often have a Louisiana Waterthrush and Pine Warblers. I remember one year we found a Yellow Warbler and an Orange-crowned Warbler on April 13 which were record early dates for the area. On April 12, 1998 we came across a Northern Waterthrush which constituted a provincial record early date. We have also had Palm and Black-throated Green Warblers this early. So, by next weekend one would think there should be a number of new birds to see.

It is always exciting to see spring arrivals for the first time, even if they are common birds.

2 comments:

  1. Hello from the west coast! Here in Oregon we're experiencing warbler movements, too, but just Yellow-rumps so far...in droves. Had my FOY Orange-crowned today so the rest can't be far behind. I'll check back often to see how migration is going our your way.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Blake!

    It looks like the winds are going to be out of the SW and SSW after tomorrow. Hopefully I have tomorrow and Wednesday off to check out some migrants at Pelee. I here congratulations are in order! Congrats on being on the OBRC! I bet that wil be fun! =)

    ReplyDelete