Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rondeau April 12


I guess the topic of this weekend is the weather. As usual, it was nice during the week, then come the weekend, it was all downhill. The rain held off for the most part today, but it was cool and windy.
I checked out Rondeau Park this morning. I spent quite a bit of time but saw very few birds. I started off on south point trail and saw a female Oregon Junco. Actually there were quite a few juncos in the park today especially around the store. They were gearing up to head out!
Near the Rondeau Road entrance to south point trail, there was quite a bit of squawking by a Cooper's Hawk. Near the trail was a stick nest, which I assumed belonged to this bird. I will have to keep an eye on this.
Around Spicebush Trail and Bennett Ave., were a few Yellow-rumped Warblers.
At the Pony Barn and compost heap, were the only two Fox Sparrows of the day, along with a White-throated Sparrow. The Fox Sparrows had obviously moved on during the week.
Also at the compost area were roosting Turkey Vultures. They always like this area for roosting.

At Erieau, a few Horned Grebes were on the lake. It seems that each one takes their own time in moulting into breeding plumage. I saw four in a group, and each one was in a different stage of moult.
Overall, kinglets were more plentiful today, especially Ruby-crowned. Yellow-rumped Warblers are moving in and I saw only about 12 today. Many were still quite dull, but there were some in full breeding plumage. A large number of Brown Creepers were throughout the park, and a few Hermit Thrushes were around. A number of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were around as well. Chipping Sparrows have increased in numbers, a few Tree Sparrows were still around.

At home, it appears the two last Pine Siskins left after Thursday. I had about ten all winter here. More may show up on their way through, as I have seen them here as late as the 21st of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment