Saturday, April 26, 2008

Birding April 26

DUTCHMAN'S BREECHES

Migration is well underway finally with birds seen today. I started early at Rondeau Park with Heather Campbell. We had some of the uncommon warblers, among the ten species of warblers we tallied today. There were lots of "firsts" for the year. I will highlight some of our finds.

The "good" warblers included: Hooded along Rondeau Road. I heard the distinctive chip note as we drove along. I then saw it a bit later. Behind the maintenance yard, I heard the familiar song of the Louisiana Waterthrush. I only got a brief view of it. We also had a White-eyed Vireo and a Blue-winged Warbler here.

Over at the Old Log Pond near the pony barn, I heard a partial song that bothered me as I could not readily ID it. Out popped a male Prothonotary Warbler. This bird was unbanded.

Other firsts for the year included: Red-headed Woodpecker, Eastern Kingbird, Warbling Vireo, Red-breasted Nuthatch (several), Veery, Swainson's Thrush, Gray Catbird, Yellow Warbler (several), Palm Warbler (2), Black-and-White Warbler (several), Ovenbird, Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2), Orchard Oriole (male).
I wanted to make a full day of birding, so I headed over to Point Pelee and added some more year birds. These included: Wood Thrush, Tennessee Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Northern Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, and Baltimore Oriole (heard only). We also saw another White-eyed Vireo or two. Along the road near Sanctuary was decent as I birded with Lance & Faye Allin, Mike Tate, Alan Wormington and Bob Cermak. Alan reported to me later that he had a very early Chestnut-sided Warbler near there after I left.

At Hillman Marsh, there were 34 Willets and some Black-bellied Plover. I had heard about them earlier. That is the most I have seen in one spot! (A later posting indicated that there were over 60 in the evening, so more must have come in). A Tundra Swan was also present and several gulls and terns. Two egrets were flying over.

Not a bad day for early in the season!
Some friends ventured over to Pelee Island to check for the Burrowing Owl, but they came back disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment