Friday, March 7, 2008

Winter Still Continues!

COOPER'S HAWK in yard

Although some spring migrants showed up this week, the winter weather continues. A heavy snowstorm was originally forecast for this weekend, but apparently most of it will miss us here. I have had enough of winter, and eagerly await spring weather.

Some American Robins and Red-winged Blackbirds showed up here this week, and today a Song Sparrow was at the feeder.

Geese have been moving in, and the big news at least for this vicinity was the sighting of two Ross's Geese. They were at a marsh just SW of Wallaceburg. These were the first that I have heard of for this area.

I just got word late today that many Canvasback and Redhead have been found dead floating down the St. Clair River on the US side. It will be interesting to know what caused that. Perhaps I will get out on Saturday to see some ducks on the St. Clair River.

REDHEADS ON CHENAL ECARTE

There have been reports out of Point Pelee of spring migrants. Some of those birds are actually wintering birds such as the Hermit Thrushes in Tilden's Woods, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and perhaps the White-crowned Sparrow. One of the thrushes I photographed in January.

HERMIT THRUSH AT POINT PELEE IN JANUARY

Thoughts of spring remind me of getting out in my boat. Although it is For Sale and I may not have it this coming season, it would nice to get out at least once a week for a ride. My boat is a 1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman boat that I restored years ago.



I will add to Friday's post that I got out early Saturday morning to look at ducks on the St. Clair River. Good thing I got out when I did, because the storm quickly moved in, and it was difficult getting home. I noted large numbers of scaup and Ring-necked Ducks at Sombra. There had not been many scaup on the river this winter previously. Tomorrow will be a better day!

No comments:

Post a Comment