Friday, September 20, 2024

Soras to Sulphurs

 Tuesday morning I went for a long walk at Rondeau Park.  Marsh trail was the best option this day, and I needed the exercise anyway!  Out to Long Pond is a 11 km round trip.

There were quite a few birds, but nothing unexpected.  Even the 45 Soras I heard or saw was not unusual.  Dozens gather in the marshes here in late summer.


An American Mink scooted across the trail at one point.


I stopped by Keith McLean C. L. afterwards.  Looks inviting for shorebirds, but nothing new!

Greater Yellowlegs and Short-billed Dowitcher

In the afternoon I went for long walk at Reid CA.  





My usual walk is around the back field.


Shadow Darners keep popping up!


Lots of Common Buckeyes were flitting about and a few more Common Checkered-Skippers have arrived.


Question Mark

Wednesday I stayed fairly local, going for a walk at Mitchell's Bay.  A few birds kept me busy.  Along the shoreline various plants can be seen, including Marsh Tickseed.




In the afternoon I had the urge to go the Tecumseh Monument park along the Thames.  Nothing new, but I wanted to check it out!
Smoky Rubyspot

American Rubyspot

Pimpleback

Mucket

I also went over to Wardsville Woods for a walk.  Nothing unusual caught my eye though.  You never know until you look!

Wild Indigo Duskywing

Broad-leaved Goldenrod

Thursday I went down to Keith McLean C. L. hoping for something different.  However, with this stagnant weather, not much change.  A few shorebirds were there, including one peep that had Steve and I stumped.  We had fairly good scope views, but it did not fit anything familiar. Oh well.

In the ponds and around the edges, other flowers are very similar to Marsh Tickseed.  These beggar ticks are in the same family.  Only going by what comes up on iNaturalist!

Nodding Beggarticks

Smooth Beggarticks
The one pond is full of those!


I later stopped by the Blenheim lagoons.  Some shorebirds were in, including a pair of Red-necked Phalaropes.  A bit too distant in harsh lighting for my camera.


This Black-bellied Plover kept flying around and landing on the dike.


At home, I keep checking the garden for insects.  This very tiny one was new, which I inadvertently photographed.

Insidious Flower Bug

Today, after birding the shore trail at Mitchell's Bay, I went down to Point Pelee.  I wanted to get more looks at Dogface Sulphurs.  I found four.


At one point, an individual was competing with an Orange Sulphur for a knapweed flower.


At least I got some better flight shots to show the characteristic pattern.





There were lots of Orange Sulphurs as well.  Some were really orange!


I found only one Fiery Skipper, and a fleeting glimpse of a Grey Hairstreak.

Fiery Skipper


No comments:

Post a Comment