Saturday, April 27, 2024

Floodgates Open!

 As expected today, there was a huge influx of migrants, and some rarities.  Things seems to have been held up until now.  Point Pelee revealed the expected early rarities including Kentucky Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat and Henslow's Sparrow.

Rondeau reported a couple of Yellow-breasted Chats as well, so obviously they have arrived!

There were lots of first-of-year birds for me as well as others.  I started at the south shore nature trail at Mitchell's Bay expecting something of interest, and I was not disappointed.

Highlight was a Snowy Egret that I found and identified quite easily through the shrubbery.  There had not been one reported previous to today to my knowledge, but this one was not surprising in that particular area.  It was not close, so only a very poor photo was obtained.  However, you can see the size difference.


I have had good luck with this species over the years, as this one was at least my eighth self-found.

Other new birds for the year included, Solitary Sandpiper, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Yellow Warbler, Baltimore Oriole and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  Also heard a Northern Waterthrush constantly singing, but I saw one at Windsor on January 5 this year!

Baltimore Oriole

My visit there was cut short due to incoming heavy rain, but the rain later stopped for others to see the first of the year Snowy Egret.

I was due in Sarnia later in the afternoon, so did not go far today.  I stopped by Peers Wetland in anticipation of some new birds.  There were more Yellow-rumped Warblers in, and a few Palm Warblers, but nothing else of note.

Palm Warbler

Tomorrow should be quite good as well, so will check out Rondeau and area!

Yesterday, it was quite disappointing for birds in a visit to Rondeau.  I should have stayed home!

In the afternoon, I went for a walk at Reid CA.  Here are some scenes from there.

Wood Anemone


Interesting moss "island"

patch of Largeflower Bellwort

It is time to look at insects as well.  I keep finding new ones for my list at Reid.

Dunning's Miner


probable Black and Yellow Nomad Bee

It will be another kick at the can tomorrow.

Same pop can at Reid I found about ten years ago!




No comments:

Post a Comment