Friday, April 7, 2023

A Harbinger of Spring

 The last couple of days have seen a few migrants trickling through.  Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers are numerous in migration right now.  I tried to get a photo of one today, but they did not stay still long enough!



Yellow-rumped Warblers are showing up more and more.  A couple were in Reid CA this morning flitting around trying to find the few insects available in the cold air.


I found birding a bit slow the last couple of days (lots of gulls around though!), and could not find anything of note.  A few decent birds have been found not far away, but I like to find my own stuff! (which is not working too well lately).

This morning was disappointing at Mitchell's Bay for birds.  Little to look at.  Around the area, Yellow-headed Blackbirds are starting to show up, but I could not find a single one.

Sandhill Cranes in early morning sun

The last couple of days I have gone for long walks at Reid CA.  My usual route was not possible due to flooding and the overflowing Sydenham.  Even the main laneway was flooded at the old oxbow channel!


I looked more at plants than anything else.  It is a bit early, but things are popping up.  One of the earliest, true to its name, is Harbinger of Spring (Erigenia bulbosa).  It is a small and delicate plant that can easily be overlooked.  It is classified as Imperiled in Canada.

Oddly enough, earlier this spring, I decided that I really wanted to see one of these rare plants since to the best of my knowledge, I had not observed one before.  I was going to ask for help in finding some, but I managed to find it on my own!

Yesterday, I stumbled upon several plants in prime habitat (rich hardwood forest) in one location.


There were several plants around the base of two large oak trees that were side by side.


Today, for lack of anything else to do (birding was very slow), I went back to see if I could find some more.  I managed to find five more spots in the same wooded area!  All were at the base of large trees.





Perhaps in the past, I have unkowningly seen this plant, since it can easily be overlooked.  In any case, I was pleased as punch to find some on my own!

Other common plants will be blooming in the next week or so.  Here is a Spring Beauty, ready to pop.


And, Purple Cress.


Nothing new at home.  Winter holdouts still coming to the feeders.




No comments:

Post a Comment