Thursday, March 2, 2023

Out With Winter! I Hope

 From a birding standpoint, the winter season has ended.  Yesterday, March 1, was quite balmy and lots of common birds arrived (blackbirds, Robins, etc.).  It was nice enough to walk out Rondeau's marsh trail to Long Pond.  I was due for a good long walk (10 km round trip).  The only thing really of note was a Wilson's Snipe at Long Pond.  Unfortunately, I did not realize the camera was not set right!


It was most likely an early spring migrant.


This week, I managed a couple of long walks at Reid CA.  I cannot get enough of the place, as I love walking through the mature forest.  Some of the impressive old trees include six species of oak.

Chinquapin Oak

I think this one is a Swamp White Oak. The species is present anyway.



Along the 2.5 km of Sydenham River shoreline I can look for river mussels.  Today, among other things, I found a Pink Heelsplitter.  It was a new one for here, and considered vulnerable in Ontario.



Giant Floater seems to be the most common one, and Mapleleaf is numerous as well.

Giant Floater
Mapleleaf


This morning I went for my morning walk at Brander Park, Port Lambton.  I found a new bird for my list there....a Pileated Woodpecker!



Wonder where it came from, as there is no suitable habitat nearby, except Walpole Island.  And, we have only seen them there at Public Bush at the south end.

With winter waning (what winter?), some winter visitors are still hanging in there.  The Long-eared Owl at Wilkesport refuses to budge.


Feeder activity has slowed down now.

Gimpy



The young Cooper's Hawk shows up everyday, but never seems to get those House Sparrows, unfortunately.





No comments:

Post a Comment