Tuesday, January 10, 2023

More Adventures and More Mussels

 Sunday, I decided to head down Windsor way to join in the OFO field trip on the Detroit River led by Jeremy Hatt and Kory Renaud. As usual, the weather forecast was wrong and it was yet another dreary day.  However, at least there was no precipitation.

The starting point was Lakeview Marina across from Peche Island where there is always a concentration of waterfowl.  Unlike most and normal years, there was no ice and the waterfowl was not concentrated.  There was a lot to look at though!


Hooded Mergansers numbered nearly 100, with other ducks mixed in such as Gadwall, Canvasback, Redhead, Common Merganser, etc.

In the distance, I knew I would see the old Bob-lo steamer Ste. Claire.


The Good 'Ole Days!  Ste. Claire

A few years ago, it burned due to a welding mishap.  That was unfortunate as the original structure was destroyed.  However, the owners are carrying on with a cosmetic restoration.

Our next stop was Little River Park and the pollution control plant.  There are always some ducks here, and often a Wood Duck or two can be found in winter.  This time was no exception.



Among other birds, we often seen Canvasbacks flying overhead in large flocks.  On this day, we saw over 2500.


The Detroit River and area is one of the key wintering spots for Canvasback.  We used to get lots on the St. Clair River, but not so in recent years.

After birding this park, the plan was to head down to Ojibway Park.  I decided to break off and head home at this point, as there was nothing to interest me at Ojibway.

Yesterday turned out to be a rare sunny day!  In the afternoon, I decided to go for a long walk at Reid CA and explore the south end.

One of the outlets of the old oxbow

There were not many birds as usual, but a pair of Great Horned Owls was nice to see.

Along the riverbank, I noticed lots of mussels.  Most were Giant Floater, a common species.


There were a few Mapleleaf as well.




I also found a large White Heelsplitter.  It was very flat!



Today, I had the urge to go and see the long-staying Harris's Sparrow near Northville in north Lambton.  It basically appeared right away when I arrived around 10:00.




Seed has been put out all along, so I suspect it would not have stayed this long without that food.  Lots of White-crowned Sparrows are at this spot as well.


I actually arrived earlier than that, so decided to go for a walk at Ausable River Cut CA to start things off. It is always quiet for birds this time of year, so I looked at river mussels.  There were lots, but one stood out.



I thought it was a certain species called Black Sandshell, but I later learned it was a very similar species called Spike.  I have never found one of those before!

On the way home, I stopped at Wilkesport, as I often do for one last walk.  It has been quiet this year, but I did find some birds.  A couple of Eastern Bluebirds were nice to see, but they did not co-operate for a photo.

After I got back to the car, I ate my lunch, but then decided to check one more area.  I lucked out and found a Long-eared Owl quietly roosting in a spruce tree.



I have had Long-eared here before, so that was not a surprise really.  It was a nice way to end today's outing in Lambton County.



No comments:

Post a Comment