Monday, December 19, 2022

Another Christmas Bird Count in the Breeze

 Yesterday, the usual crew took part in the Blenheim/Rondeau Christmas Bird Count.  Weather left a lot to be desired, especially with the wind.  The temperature was not too bad on the thermometer, but the wind chill was uncomfortable.  The stiff west wind made it impossible to hear things.

I started with my usual lakewatch at dog beach, but did not stay as long as I would have liked.  Although I prepared with lots of winter clothing, the cold wind was uncomfortable.  The lake was very rough, and not too active with ducks and gulls anyway.  Not a single loon was seen, unlike Friday!

I soon moved on to south point trail.  Birds were very scarce, as expected.  

The shoreline continues to erode, and soon it will reach the trail.  Note the concrete structure in each photo.


In contrast, this photo was taken in 2017.  I thought there was a lot of erosion then!



When I got to the "washout", I thought I would walk straight in along a slough to the old Dillon trail.  Last year, there were quite a few birds back in the sloughs, especially Song and Swamp Sparrows.  This day, I only encountered one spot with three Song and three Swamp.


After finishing this walk, there was still lots of morning left since there were not many birds to stop and look at.  I walked the Harrison trail, and back Lakeshore Road.

This Pileated was along Harrison just before the VC, excavating a cavity.



Along Lakeshore, I found a Hermit Thrush, which was a decent bird all things considered. I found another later, taking advantage of Bittersweet berries.




After lunch, I headed back the old Dillon trail to the big slough, as per tradition.  But, just as I got out of the car, I noticed a Ruby-crowned Kinglet beside the parking lot.  It was in the thick of things, so I was not able to get a photo.  This photo is from the past.  (They look the same, lol!)



It is getting tougher and tougher to find the old trail farther back.  As I did last year, I walked along the slough to the lake.  Almost birdless!

Back on the trail, I added an American Robin to the list.

By the time I got back to the car, I was too tired to do much else.  I did take a quick look around the campground as per tradition.

The count ended up with 111 species to my knowledge, which is certainly a decent number for this year.  Several decent finds were tallied.  Around five count week species too.


No comments:

Post a Comment