Friday, September 17, 2021

Rondeau Watch, Kite Flying, Smoky on the Thames

 It was down to Rondeau this foggy morning.  It was one of the more humid days of this summer!  I can do without these hot and humid days.....

I started with a lakewatch at dog beach.  There was much gull action, but no rarities in view.  Most were Bonaparte's (several hundred), compared to the previous day where less than a dozen were seen!

Steve joined me early on.  He spotted a jaeger (a novelty for Rondeau) way out, but I never got on it.  A different wind for tomorrow, so will try again!

I checked out south point trail, then the north end of Harrison Trail.  Thrushes were once again the theme of the day.  Seems they are extremely abundant this fall!  Many were still giving the calls much like their nocturnal flight calls.  One can distinguish the difference between Gray-cheeked and Swainson's.

There were not a lot of warblers today though.  Vireos, including Philadelphia, were in good numbers.

Not a good photo!


It was about 11:30 by the time I was done in the park.  I had been itching to go see the Swallow-tailed Kite at Orwell in Elgin county, so today was the day to go!  It was a little over an hour drive from Rondeau, but upon arrival at the site, it was soaring above the road!  No wait here!




It was a really neat bird to watch as it hunted over the area.

A year ago, I saw the one outside Point Pelee, so it seems to be a yearly thing.

I took a scenic route back, and stopped by Wardsville Woods for a walk.  Not much in the way of birds, but a few butterflies were flying.

Common Checkered-Skipper

Wild Indigo Duskywing


Further west, I briefly stopped at the Tecumseh Monument park east of Thamesville.  Viewing was limited along the river due to the high water level (too much rain this past week!).  I saw several Smoky Rubyspots, but no American Rubyspots.




Just as I was leaving, I caught sight of an Elusive Clubtail, but was unable to get a photo.  They are around this time of year, and some have been seen around Florence and Shetland recently.



No comments:

Post a Comment