Sunday, January 31, 2021

Guthrie Gullerama and Rondeau Tails

 With the recent "more normal" winter weather, we finally have some ice!  The St. Clair River has filled up with ice in the past few days.  Gulls have been gathering at Corunna'a Guthrie Park.  I checked it out the other day.  


Hundreds of gulls have arrived and enjoy riding the ice floes.  Hopefully we get something close to last year's numbers!

There were a few Glaucous Gulls, but no Iceland and certainly no rarities yet.

A few ducks were around including Common Goldeneye.


Today I needed another "long" walk.  The weather was not ideal (brisk east winds and a bit of snow), but Rondeau's marsh trail was the pick of the day.  It is actually the most interesting part of the park at the present with regards to birds.

With the wind, birds were hunkered down, so not as many as the last time I was out there.  I did manage to find three Common Yellowthroats.  One was an immaculate male at Long Pond which suddenly popped up in front of me while I was standing in one spot.  It quickly disappeared though.

On the way back, a female made an appearance and was more co-operative.


If you look closely, it has no tail!  I did not notice that at first. Maybe that is why it stayed for the winter.  It would need a good "tail" wind to go south!



Seems to be more chickadees out marsh trail than any other particular spot in the park.  Some being acrobatic.



I have been getting quite a few blackbirds around home, so I have been watching closely.  Unfortunately no yellow heads have popped up yet!  I do have it for the yard list, but many, many years ago.





No comments:

Post a Comment