Sunday, November 17, 2019

Beating the Bushes Here and There

There has recently been lack of blog subject matter for me lately but I beat the bushes this past weekend in search of birds.  I have found nothing too noteworthy, so I guess my bad luck continues.  Seems that "good" birds continue to show up when I am not around, or on weekdays!  For example, a Red Phalarope was at Blenheim this past Tuesday during the bad weather day (see other blogs).  Since it was a weekday I was not able to see it, but the weather was too bad for travelling anyway.

Friday, I headed down to Rondeau in anticipation of finding something of note (never happened!).
Observations included lots of Hermit Thrushes all over the place.




The campground seemed to be a place of interest, but I only found Yellow-rumped Warblers in that category.  I actually checked it three times!  Fox Sparrows were numerous as well this day.  A few Ruby-crowned Kinglets are hanging in there.


The odd flock of Cedar Waxwings can be found.  Chances are slim for Bohemian this year though.



The Red-headed Woodpecker is still hanging around in the park.  Would be nice if it stays another four weeks!


Other birds hanging around is the Baltimore Oriole.  Of course I could not find, but based on my luck with the one from last year, I never will see it!

Turkey Vultures are thinning out, but nowadays, some are always around in winter.



After I wore out the park, I went over to Erieau and did the McGeachy Pond dike and the Rail trail.  McGeachy dike has taken a beating this year due to the high water and wave action.  The gravel on the trail has been "washed" away, shrubbery has been flattened, and lots of flotsam and jetsam litters the place.

Oh buoy!


I chased an American Pipit all along the dike.



Saturday, I went back to Rondeau for lack of any other place fairly close to visit.  I think it is going to be a long boring winter with regards to birds!  It is not a finch year, and this early winter weather will get rid of many birds.  Perhaps we may see lots of gulls and ducks, but who knows.

Chipping Sparrows were once again all over the place.  This one in the early morning light was right beside me, but it took a while to actually see it even though I could hear it chipping!


There was a good flock of birds along Harrison Trail near pony barn, including this towhee which did not have enough spots on it.



A walk on south point trail produced a few birds including a nice flock of Eastern Bluebirds, American Robins and Cedar Waxwings near the "washout".



Highlight along the trail was a House Wren.  I saw it well, but it was buried in the Gray Dogwoods and I could not get a photo.  It is rather late for them, but we have had them in December.  My latest is one at Point Pelee on the last day of December one year.

An American Pipit was out of place, hopping along Rondeau Road.



I stopped by Ridgetown Lagoons later.  Lots of geese (about five Cackling as well), but no rarities.



It was only noon and I felt bored, so I kept driving east!  I ended up at John E. Pearce Provincial Park in Elgin County and went for a walk there.  By this time, the skies were clear for a nice outing.

Field Sparrow at Pearce Park


On the way back I also went for a walk at Wardsville Woods.  Rather quiet for birds though.

Today, Sunday, I just went up into Lambton County to various places.  I started at Brander Park, Port Lambton.  Last week some birds were "trapped" here due to the weather, including a couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers.  I did find them today though.

Several hermit Thrushes are still kicking around.  This one at McKeough seemed to have only one leg...or at least favouring one leg.




A couple of different locations in my travels revealed Long-eared Owls.




I actually checked several haunts for owls, but those were the only two for today.

This afternoon it was too nice to stay home, so I went to Mitchell's Bay and St. Clair NWA.

There was lots to see at St. Clair.  A couple of open spots had the waterfowl packed in like sardines.




Mallards were the most numerous.  Four Snow Geese were among the Canadas.  I could not pick out any other geese though.

Three Marsh Wrens were found during the walk on the dike, but they were somewhat hidden and difficult to see through the phragmites which is coming back with a vengeance.



On to another week....I wonder what I will miss this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment