Sunday, March 24, 2019

A "Little" Birding Today

I went down to Rondeau this morning.  The park was surprsingly quiet for birds, but at least the weather was nice.
Song Sparrows were the most plentiful passerine, as there were bunches of them everywhere.

I stopped by the boat ramp to scope the ducks. There was a good variety and number to sort through.  I managed to find the (or a) Eurasian Wigeon male in the mix.  It was rather distant for a photo.


Ice pile at Rondeau Estates!


Horned Grebes are now showing up and I saw a few today.  Keith Burk managed to spot a Red-necked Grebe on the lake this morning.  I had been hoping to see one lately as it is a good time for them to move through.  They are, however, very rare in our area.

While at the boat ramp, some Bonaparte's Gulls were moving around.  I had Little Gull on my mind as a target bird for today since Garth and Nancy had one at Keith McLean CA late yesterday.
Sure enough, I spotted one swimming with a few bonies.  The smaller size and different head marking stood out, and when it finally got up, I could see the dark underwings.  It was not a full adult though as the black was not extensive.



Later, I spotted another Little Gull!  It was certainly different as this one was an adult with jet black underwings.
Little Gulls have been scarce in our area the last couple of years.  I did not see one until November of 2018 for last year's list.

A pleasant surprise in the yard this afternoon was an Oregon Junco.  It has been many years since I have seen one in the yard.  They used to be more regular.




With the warm weather mid week, no doubt we will see and influx of birds before the weather goes for a crap on the weekend (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment