Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Making the Rounds




Little to report at this time, but birds are slowly moving through.  I heard there was a Louisiana Waterthrush at Black Oak Heritage Park near Ojibway (Tom Preney) the other day. Only Pine Warblers have been reported otherwise in the province.

As long as it is not raining, I go for a morning walk at Brander Park Port Lambton.  The usual migrants have been coming through such as kinglets and Fox Sparrows, etc.  Today an Eastern Phoebe finally arrived there and two Pine Siskins made a brief stop.
Once in a while, I stop after work if there is time and today many Juncos were in.  I noted one from a distance with very pinkish sides.
It is a nice way to start the day, but doing a little birding!  Some good birds have shown up there (Glossy Ibis last May!) as I have mentioned before, so it never hurts to check.


Back in the early days, I even had Northern Bobwhite there.  For some reason, today I was thinking of that species and that we never see nor hear it anymore.  I used to hear them daily since I worked directly across from Walpole Island.  I am a little further back from the Snye now, but still within earshot if they ever showed up again!

Stewart Wetland is also on the way home, and here and there is a little bit of mud there now.  I still hold hopes of some good bird showing up there.  A year ago last fall I had the Cattle Egret and several years ago I found a female Ruff.  It was excellent for shorebirds last summer, but nothing of note ever showed.  It is a good spot for birds flying over as well.  Birds coming off Walpole Island fly over early in the day, then return later.



If there is time in the morning, I stop at the Port Lambton dock.  This week lots of White-winged Scoters have been heading north.  One morning a few years ago in the spring I noted a continuous stream of Common Loons heading north.  In less than half an hour, there were 50, but then I had to head into work.  Another good spot to check!

Foggy Day!

A Snowy Owl was still outside of Wallaceburg a couple of days ago according to someone I talked to at work today.  I am on that road every day, and keep an eye open, but I never see it!


I have not seen Sandhill Cranes around here yet this year.  We do not get many in the spring here, but if you remember, last fall was excellent.
Well, I wonder what tomorrow will bring.......



No comments:

Post a Comment