Sunday, June 20, 2010

An Interesting Day--Some Rare Insects

Start of Johnston Channel

Weather was absolutely perfect today so I took advantage and went out in the boat first thing.  I headed down the Johnston Channel which divides Walpole and St. Anne's Islands.  I went all the way this time. Since I did not go there last year, I was anxious to head down again.   Bird life was limited.  In the past I have had good times with lots of birds, but I guess this is a sign of the times.  No Black Tern colonies this year, which is a first. I did see two Black Terns foraging on the return trip though.  There were quite a few Forster's Terns around.  In the past I have seen Caspian.  One was at Port Lambton on Friday.

Camera-shy Forster's Tern

I did catch a glimpse of a Common Moorhen near Johnston Bay.  It was probably nesting nearby.  In the past there have been Coots as well. 

There were lots of Mallards near the end and quite a few Wood Ducks.  No other ducks.  Usually I see a Redhead or two and perhaps a Wigeon.

End of Johnston Channel

The only heron types were two Great Blues.  On some trips I have seen Green Heron, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Great Egret, American Bittern and Least Bittern.

Great Blue Heron

Some turtles were on logs, and in one spot, which I noticed last week, some Map Turtles were basking in the sun.  I didn't realize they were Map until I downloaded the photos.



After the trip I headed north of Wallaceburg to check for butterflies.  Lots were out today.  More hairstreaks have emerged including Southern (Northern Oak).  I had a feeling today would be the day I would see the rare Southern!

Southern (Northern Oak) Hairstreak

I also saw a couple of Appalachian Eyed-Browns.  Very similar to the Eyed-Brown, but there are some subtle differences.

Appalachian Eyed-Brown

The Long Dash skipper was still around (I mistakenly thought it was a Peck's without looking too closely the other day).  I have had Peck's there as well.

Gray Comma


Banded Hairstreak

An interesting dragonfly caught my eye.  It was a very large one which appears to be a Royal River Cruiser.  An impressive name!  I am not sure if I had seen one before.  Uncommon for Ontario.

Royal River Cruiser

The last few times there, I have flushed up a Common Yellowthroat beside the trail. I knew it had to be nesting, and today I easily located the nest with five eggs.



When I got home, I got word that Allen Woodliffe photographed a Gulf Fritillary at Rondeau Park this morning.  An extreme rarity for Ontario!  Needless to say, a first for Rondeau and probably only the second for Ontario (there is a sight record from Windsor).  I thank Allen Woodliffe for letting me post his photo:

Gulf Fritillary at Rondeau
(Photo by P. Allen Woodliffe)

No comments:

Post a Comment