Monday, September 7, 2026

Some September Sightings

 Last Tuesday, I stopped by McKeough CA for a morning walk.  Highlight was a Zabulon Skipper!  It was a first record for that place.



One can only wonder how many are really out there.  They are certainly expanding.

Eastern Tailed-Blues are plentiful right now, especially at McKeough.


Wild Indigo Duskywings are popping up as well.


A couple of insect/arachnid sightings in the next couple of days:

Lance-tipped Darner

Yellow Garden Spider

On Friday, I went down to Rondeau to walk the marsh trail. I was hoping to spend quite a bit of time there, but we were mislead by the weather forecast.  The evening before I am pretty sure it said some sun and very little chance of rain.  Dead wrong!  It was threatening rain.

That was unfortunate because there were hundreds of birds, most moving south.  I only could spend two hours on the trail.  Here is  a link to my eBird list:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S389630415

I did notice two Common Nighthawks flying as well.  Sometimes they fly during the day!

I only managed this photo of an Osprey.


It rained the rest of the day!

Not to be detered, I went back the next day to tackle the marsh trail.  Luckily, it was much the same deal with birds, but with sunny skies.  I walked to the half way point, seeing more species than the previous day.

Common Yellowthroat

Red-eyed Vireo with meal (earwig?)

A couple of butterflies along the way.

Question Mark

Common Painted-Lady

Common Checkered-Skipper (at home)

Yesterday, I drove along the St. Clair River first thing.

barge Ashtabula

For my morning walk, I went to McKeough CA.  It was quite enjoyable with picture-perfect weather.

Holt Line Bridge

  As well, there were lots of birds.  Included was a Purple Finch.  They seem to be moving through in small numbers now.


Cedar Waxwing

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Common Painted-Lady seems to be popping up everywhere lately.


Later in the afternoon, I saw quite a few bees and wasps in the garden.  Included was an oddity called a Louisiana Painted-Dark Bee.  I had one of these in the past here.


Today I headed down towards Rondeau and Erieau.  I checked a harvested tomato field and saw a Buff-breasted Sandpiper east of New Scotland.

I then headed over to Erieau to walk the marsh trail.  There were a few warblers and other birds, plus some hummingbirds.


This afternoon, it was too nice to pass up an opportunity to check out McKeough and Reid.

There were a few birds, including this Philadelphia Vireo having a meal.


Came a cross a Grey Comma at McKeough, something I have have not seen since early summer.


Some Wild Indigo Duskywings were flying nearby.


A Reid, a couple of Royal River Cruisers were flying. Soon, they will be done until next June!


A few warblers were flitting through the woods.  Included was an Ovenbird, which was in a shaded area.  I did not have time to put the correct settings on the camera, so it is blurry.


Been watching for birds in the evening at home.  The odd warblers are moving through, but not much passing over lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment