I have been visiting various places in the last week. Seems like a lot of running around and not finding much of note (until today)!
Last Friday I headed up to north Lambton and checked out the entire Ipperwash Forested Dunes and Swales trails. Once again it was almost devoid of birds. Not sure what is going on with that place! I was looking more for insects though.
| Cardinal Flower |
Of note, I found this Huron Shore Bee Fly.
Perhaps I have unknowingly seen it before, but it is rather uncommon. Seen in dune habitats, I suppose it got its name from this area. However, it can be seen elsewhere. There is a Rondeau record, Long Point, and it is seen in the NE United States.
In any case, the walk gave me some much-needed exercise!
Next day it was fairly local. I took a walk at Reid C. L. and found some insects.
| Common Painted-Lady |
| Greene's Giant Ichneumonid Wasp |
| Fraternal Potter WAsp |
Later, a brief walk at McKeough revealed my first Common Buckeye of the year.
A single Flag-tailed Spinyleg was along the river's edge.
Sunday I checked out Blenheim lagoons. Lots of shorebirds, but nothing of note. Quite a few Stilt Sandpipers, and Lesser Yellowlegs continue to be in big numbers.
Yesterday I was due for more exercise, so I walked out Rondeau's marsh trail to the half way point. Not much in the way of birds, and actually I was disappointed. I was hoping to see some southbound warblers! I had seen zero as of yesterday.
| Lance-tipped Darner |
| Eastern Pondhawk |
A Common-checkered Skipper was in the yard in the afternoon.
Today was a different story with a perfect weather day. I went to the south shore trail at Mitchell's Bay. There were lots of birds, including warblers! (10 species). Lots of vireos as well.
An added bonus was a flock of at least six Yellow-headed Blackbirds flying over. Too quick for a photo, but there might have been more as I had just caught the tail end of the flyover flock.
This afternoon I could not resist going for a walk at Reid C. L. Took a different route today and actually walked through the woods, which I rarely do during the summer.
| Great-spangled fritillary |
On the way back, I cut out to the laneway. At one point I caught sight of a dark skipper. It turned out to be a female Zabulon! I have only seen one before down at Ojibway. All others have been males in this area.
It was a pleasant surprise indeed.
I was just getting home, when I got word of a decent bird not too far away. So, off I went to near Port Lambton. Since it is a restricted access place, location will not be revealed here until later.
A Snowy Egret was a nice addition to such a nice day.
But wait, there was a bonus. Two Red-necked Phalaropes were nearby.
One of the better days for this summer!


No comments:
Post a Comment