Friday, October 11, 2024

Fall Birding and Aurora Borealis Puts on a Show

 A couple of days ago I decided to check out Keith McLean C. L. first thing in the morning.  I ended up staying over four hours since many birds were around!  Lots flying over and some lingering.


There are some good mudflats around presently.


Some shorebirds have finally been consistent there with a variety during my visit.  I caught up with the Long-billed Dowitcher that had been reported the previous day, but it was a bit too far for my measly camera.


I was fairly certain that I saw two first thing, but later on I could only come up with one.  Today there were two!

Both yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers and Wilson's Snipe were working the grounds during my visit.




There were lots of birds in the air and one wonders what all went through.  Lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers were streaming through or working the trees on the property.

My first Pine Siskin of the fall flew over, as well as a couple of Purple Finches.

I caught glimpses of the trusty Nelson's Sparrows there as well, but as usual no chance for a photo.

I was about to leave at one point, when the Turkey Vultures started moving in big numbers.  So, I stayed much longer in hopes of seeing something different.   I saw over 700 TV's.


However, there was not much variety in raptors, and certainly a hoped-for Black Vulture never materialized.

I ended up with 58 species there in four hours.

Yesterday, I did not venture far, but started at the south lakeshore trail at Mitchell's Bay.  Not much variety in birds on this crisp and clear morning.  One is always hopeful for something with the calibre of a Sage Thrasher!  Frankly, I am still hopeful of a Varied Thrush showing up there.

Hermit Thrushes have certainly arrived in numbers this week.


After this walk, I decided to head down to St. Clair NWA.  I do not often go there anymore as things have changed from the old days when there was always a good variety of birds there.  However, it always has potential for something interesting.


There was actually a lot of birds, especially sparrows.  Fox Sparrows have arrived in small numbers, as well as White-crowned Sparrows.  Swamp was the sparrow of the day with the 37 seen or heard along the way.

White-crowned Sparrow on the fence

Always a chance for a Nelson's Sparrow there as well, but it was not to be.  I have only seen one there, and it was at the end of December a number of years ago (running around on the ice)!

Some Sandhill Cranes were around.  These are quite regular at St. Clair anymore.



Common Buckeyes are everywhere, and this place was no exception.


Later on in the morning I went for a walk at Peers Wetland.  A late Least Skipper caught my eye at one point.


Insects in the few flowers that remain, included this Perennial Mason Wasp which is classified as imperiled in Ontario.



Today, you guessed it, I went down to Rondeau Park.  Not the best wind, but a stiff WSW wind was blowing and I was hopeful something of interest would show during a lakewatch.  Yet again, nothing of interest at dog beach.  I do not get it!

Afterwards, I walked south point trail east, then the north end of Harrison.  Yellow-rumped Warblers have arrived in numbers, as there were lots.  Perhaps we may find an "Audubon's" again this year!

Other warblers included Tennessee, Pine, Blackpoll (2), Bay-breasted (2) and Black-throated Blue (2)

Pine Warbler in a deciduous tree

Black-throated Blue Warbler (F) sticking it out


A few Blue-headed Vireos were around, but no all-gray ones.

Last night, the Aurora Borealis lit up the northern sky.  One needs to get away from the city/town lights to get the full effect, as some neighbours are obsessed with leaving lights on!

However, after 22:00h, I looked out my window and saw something happening.  It did not look like much to the naked eye, but using one's cell phone in night mode makes a difference.

Here are a couple of from my window here in Wallaceburg.




Keep your eyes to the sky, as you never know what you will see.

UFO



No comments:

Post a Comment