Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Mussel Mania Along the Thames and Other Observations

 The last couple of days we have seen stellar weather.  Cloudless skies, very calm and just the right temperature!  At least things are finally getting drier with the lack of rain.  There are still some puddles or ponds that have not dried up all summer though.

Yesterday afternoon, I went for a long walk at Reid CA.  It was deathly quiet for birds, and with no wind, it was interesting walking through the quiet woods.  Finally, there are very few mosquitoes! However, on the way back, I encountered a few warblers and vireos to liven things up.

I did see a couple of Royal River Cruisers, but soon they will be no more for another year.  I like photographing them since they are my favourite!



Today, I had no idea what to do, but went for a walk at Peers Wetland first thing. I finally saw some migrant passerines there!  Included were Nashville (4), Tennessee (2), Cape May, Magnolia and Black-throated Green Warblers.

I then had the notion to head down to Keith McLean C. L.  The only shorebirds were a pair of Semi-plovers flying through.  Lots of Bobolinks flying over.  Highlight was a Least Bittern which flew right in front of us.

Some butterflies included an unco-operative Fiery Skipper and Common Checkered-Skipper, but a couple of Common Painted-Lady posed briefly.  They are the more common lady of late.


I wanted to get another look along the Thames River, so went to the Tecumseh Monument park east of Thamesville.  Water level was low enough for a decent look.

Winter Scene of the Area

Quite a few Smoky Rubyspots as expected.




As well as American Rubyspots.


I saw no dragonflies whatsoever!  I had Elusive Clubtail on my mind, but there is still lots of chance for to find one of them.

In one section, I found a multitude of mussels!  No doubt one of the flooding events washed them up.

small portion!

There were too many to sort through, but from what I saw, most were Pimpleback, an imperiled species.  Not imperiled at this spot apparently!



But, I found some others that stood out.  I do not think I have had Black Sandshell (near threatened) here, but there were some today.




Others:

Pink Heelsplitter (Vulnerable)


Deertoe (vulnerable)

Mucket (as opposed to Fatmucket!)

Along the Thames, one can find various plants of interest.  Right away, I noticed some as Wingstem, which is in the rarer category.  I am sure there is a lot more along the Thames than we realize.  It is also found along the Sydenham.


Cup Plant, well past its prime is here as well.


This is an interesting spot honouring Chief Tecumseh, which I have talked about before.  I stop here at various times during the year!





Interpretive signs along the old road allowance promote history in the area.

Late Winter Scene!

Winter Scene!

(Photos from a previous visit).

At home this afternoon, I noticed a peculiar insect on the concrete. It certainly has a weird name, called a Pigeon Horntail!  Never have seen this one before.



No comments:

Post a Comment