Friday, July 12, 2024

More Insects, Things and Even A Mocha

 Tuesday was another humid day as I visited Reid and McKeough.  Highlight at Reid CA was another sedge skipper for the list there.......a Mulberry Wing!  I spent quite a bit of time in the "low spot" along the laneway.  That spot never disappoints.


I was fairly certain that I saw a Mulberry Wing here last year, but never could prove it with a photo.  

Other sedge skippers also observed were Dukes' and Broad-winged here on this visit.  But they are getting so regular, I did not bother to take photos of them!  Needless to say, it has been a good year for the sedge-type skippers.

While walking back, I caught sight of a Striped Hairstreak.  Any hairstreak this year is good!


Hairstreaks took a beating last year, and I think it will be a few years before they recover to decent numbers around here.

I was at McKeough previously, and did not find much at all.  Here are a few things.

Eastern Forktail duo


American Lady


Wednesday was a rain day as the remnants of hurricane Beryl passed through.  And yes, it was excessive....again!  We were just getting dried out around here, but once again everything is flooded even more than before.  Certainly a lot of crop losses with the flooded fields.

I did head down Rondeau way and the rain stopped for a while to get some walks in at Erieau and the lagoons.  Nothing of note.

Thursday, I headed down to Clear Creek to check out the old quarry.  Things were slow at first, but eventually picked up with lots of odonates.

There was at least one Comet Darner flying the pond.  It was very active, so I did not get decent photos this time.


Lots of bluets were around, but most were not close.  Highlight was Westfall's Slender Bluet, which I saw here last year.



There were skimming bluets and azure bluets as well.  But a new one for me here was Double-striped Bluet.  There were quite a few actually.


 Lots of Calico Pennants were flying, as were Black Saddlebags.  Even Slaty Skimmer.

I then headed up to Wardsville Woods which was rather disappointing for odes.  It is always hit and miss.  However, some Double-striped Bluets were here as well.


Violet Dancer appears here in small numbers.


At one point I caught sight of a Fawn Darner, but it bolted before I could get a photo.  I seem to see at least one here every summer.

Very few butterflies.

Northern Pearly-Eye

Today, I had the notion to head up to Strathroy.  I wanted to walk the conservation area in town, but not surprisingly it was closed due the high water from the excessive rain recently.  There is always lots to see there, so that was a disappointment.

So, I spent quite a bit of time at the lagoons.  There is a bit of mud for shorebirds, but no much due to the high water.  This place is always good for shorebirds this time of year.  However, there are lots of flooded fields around for shorebirds to choose from.

This place is certainly a duck factory with many broods of Wood Ducks and others.  Even Common Gallinules and American Coots breed here.

There were hundreds of Familiar Bluets, but I could not pick out any others.  A few years ago, Northern Bluet was seen here though.


Eastern Forktails were numerous as well.  I found this one which was having breakfast.  Looks like it was eating another!


A few butterflies were around, including this Wild Indigo Duskywing.


I noticed this spider at one point.

Phylloneta pictipes


Highlight was a singing Swainson's Thrush that remained unseen in the woods.  Not sure what to make of it, but I guess an early fall migrant.

I headed back west and ended up at Skunk's Misery.  I took a look for the Dukes' Skipper again.  It took a while, but I found one!



This garter snake was curled up nearby.  I hope they do not eat Dukes's Skippers!


With my keen eye, I noticed a Great Blue Skimmer flying around.  However, it bolted deep into the woods!  Obviously a few must be around right now.

I then walked my regular trail off Sassafras Road.  Highlight here was a Mocha Emerald!






I saw one here a few years ago, but never got a photo to confirm. So, yet another spot for the Mocha.

Here are a couple more garden insects from today.  I think these two are new for the yard list.

Argus Tortoise Beetle


Skimming Bluet

Seen before in the past, is the Transverse-banded Flower Fly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment