Thursday, May 30, 2024

Blues, Valves, Odes, Moccasins, Birds

 Now that the month of May is almost at an end....already (!) I have been looking more at insects.  Some days have not been all that good as we have had excessive amounts of rain.

This past Sunday, I went for a long walk at Hillman Marsh after looking at the shorebird cell.  Nothing of note in the shorebird department, but it was worth a look.

Sandhill Crane

Lots of Least Skippers were along the dyke.


Among the thousands of Eastern Forktails, some Skimming Bluets were seen.


Monday was a rainy day to start.  I wanted to head up Sarnia way to look at some things, but I had to take my time waiting out the rain.  After it stopped, and was still cloudy, I walked Dow Wetlands.  A decent bird in the form of a Sedge Wren was singing in the grasses.  It was a first-of-year bird for me, not all that common around here.  But, we do get the odd ones sticking around to nest.  Too distant for a photo though.

Nearby I found this rather large leech enjoying a puddle.


I then took a chance to go for a walk at Blackwell Trails park, an old dump site within Sarnia.  Luckily, the sun had come out by then so that I could look for the rare Silvery Blue.  All I was seeing were duskywings, likely Wild Indigo.  Perhaps Columbine as well, but they were too fresh to know.


After considerable time, I caught site of one Silvery Blue, but it kept going out of sight.  I persevered, then, right on the trail I found one nectaring on White Clover!


At least I did not have to go off trail and collect some ticks like in past years!

This is the only known site in Lambton for this species.  They are more common farther north.  The  only other Lambton record is of a couple along McCallum Line back in 2014.

With so much rain, Red Cedars are rusting!

Juniper Rust (fungus)

Tuesday was another rainy day, so I did not do much, but got some things done at home.

Wednesday I decided to give Rondeau one more go before May ended.  It was actually a calm and pleasant day as I checked out various places.

I walked along the beach off south point trail hoping for some decent gull.  It is a good time of year for Laughing or Franklin's or even a Black-headed, but no luck there.  However, there were up to seven Little Gulls.  All were first cycles except for one adult.  For some reason I never attempted to get photos!

Various mussel shells (mussels are sometimes called valves), were along the beach.  Just some plain old mussels.

Plain-pocket

Ducks included a single Bufflehead and a single Long-tailed, both of which are lingering later there.  I only got on the Long-tailed too late....



Some late warblers, but not unusual, were a singles of Tennessee, Canada, and Wilson's.  I found up to seven Blackpolls as well.


One has to ask where are the cuckoos?  Not a single one.  Also, Red Knots seemed to have fallen off the map anymore.  Another one I remotely hoped for.

After Rondeau, I decided to head over to Wardsville Woods to look for odes.  Unfortunately, clouds rolled in as I approached, and then the rain started.  I waited it out for a while, then went for a walk.  The sun never came, but I did see a few odes.

Pretty sure one was a Cobra Clubtail, then a couple of Midland Clubtails, a couple of Twelve-spotted Skimmers, Widow Skimmer, Common Whitetail, and Eastern Pondhawk.

The female  Twelve-spotted was missing part of one wing, so it was really a Ten-spotted Skimmer!


I did find one Double-striped Bluet.


A spreadwing caught my eye, which may be an Amber-winged.  It is somewhat uncommon and I have never seen one.  I did not know it at the time, so did not get all the photos needed.  Nobody on iNaturalist is brave enough to even comment on it, so that has not been helpful.


It was disappointing due to the crazy weather, but of course the sun came out as I drove home!

Today I headed to north Lambton.  I had the urge to walk the L-Lake trail and adjacent NCC trail.  There were not as many birds as I had thought there would be, but it was a decent walk.  

Up to five Acadian Flycatchers (not unusual there) and a Cerulean were singing among others.  Highlight was a singing Connecticut Warbler, remaining unseen.

It was too early in the cool day for odes, but I did see a couple Aurora Damsels.


A Chalk-fronted Corporal was at the start of the trail.


I decided to go farther north and check out the Klondyke Sports Park. Recently a Northern Mockingbird was found here, so I wanted to see it!  I could not get one anywhere else yet this year, so this one had to do. Not the prettiest one though.


They are certainly not as regular as they used to be.  Been a long time since I have seen one in Lambton.

Also here, a Grasshopper Sparrow seemed to favour the tennis court fence area.  They likely nest across the road (Clay-colored Sparrow has been here in the past as well).  Seemed odd it was hanging out in a groomed multi-use park.  Perhaps it was desperate for a mate.


Not finished for the day, I next went to Ipperwash Forested Dunes and Swales for  a walk.  With all the excessive rain this spring, I knew to wear boots!  The Cedar Trail was flooded in about seven spots, some areas quite deep.

A few Racket-tailed Emeralds were flying.  I never realized how common these are everywhere until recently.  I find them in most suitable places.  Even saw one at Peers Wetland earlier in the week!


A basking Blanding's Turtle caught my eye at one point.


Pink Moccasins (Pink Ladies Slipper) are quite common here.  I did not realize how common, but then I am not usually here at this time of year.  I saw dozens of plants.


It was a cool, but pleasant day on a light north wind.  The mosquitoes were not bothersome at all!

Speaking of north winds, they often push such things as kites to the Lake Erie shoreline.  Go figure, a Mississippi Kite was photographed at McGeachy Pond this morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment