Saturday, March 23, 2024

Spring Things and Arrival of Winter (?)

 The past number of days have been quite cool, unlike many of the winter days.  This past Wednesday   I went for a walk at Reid CA again.  With the cool weather this week, things have slowed down.

I looked for Harbinger of Spring again, a bit tough to see with a bit of snow on the ground.


Purple Cress, another spring plant is starting to peak through.


At one point in my walk, I came across some impressive galls.  These are a result of a wasp and called Oak Rough Bulletgall.



Thursday was sunny but cold, and I had no idea what to do.  I ventured over to Middlesex County to walk a couple of TTLT properties and a trail within Skunk's Misery.  Nothing of note!  This groundhog was keeping close to its home.



I did not see Golden Eagle this visit, but a pair of Bald Eagles were tussling about in the air.



Last walk was at Wardsville Woods.  Even though Easter is coming, this was not an Easter egg.  The property was once a golf course, so the odd golf ball may be found!


Friday, winter returned with a vengeance.  At least in my area where we got up to 12 cm of snow!  I had already put away the snow shovel, so had to get it out again.  Oddly, there was absolutely no snow down Rondeau way!  It was probably the worst snow storm for the whole winter here.

Today, I went to the balmy south to get away from the snow. It was still cold, but at least it was sunny as I walked south point trail and the campground.

Changes are afoot on south point trail, as the shoreline has finally reached and washed out the trail.  It was inevitable!

Over the years, we have seen the shoreline shrink here.  Here are some views of the same area.

Fall 2017

The above photo shows that mysterious concrete structure beginning to show in the fall of 2017.  There was once a campground office here well back from the shoreline!

Over the years, erosion continued in this area.



Later that year.........

December 2022


The trail late fall 2023



The same view today..........




The mysterious concrete structure is getting farther and farther out!




Amazing the power of waves and wind!

I checked out Erieau later.  Thousands of ducks to look at, but I could not find any anomalies.





After tomorrow, we should see some warmer weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment