Monday, March 4, 2024

Many March Meanderings

 To start off the month of March, I went down to Rondeau on Friday.  It was another nice day, but not with many birds.  I walked out marsh trail with Steve, once again going as far as Long Pond.  Northern Pintail was numerous in the duck department. Over 300!

Later, I checked out a bit of Black Oak trail.  It is a good place to look for lichens.  Here are a couple more continuing on that theme.

Star Rosette Lichens

Rough Speckled Lichens

While there, I noticed some very tiny creatures on a tree.  They were a type of springtail, as far as I could tell.  Just like snowfleas, which I have not seen in a long time.  Too difficult to get a good photo though.

Hypogastrura

After heading out of the park, the trusty Red-headed Woodpecker was on its usual tree near the end of Kent Bridge Road.


Saturday started out gloomy as I walked the south shore trail at Mitchell's Bay.  Still lots of duck on the water, most of which seemed to be Canvasback.



At home, the resident Merlin made a stop in the yard.  I took a quickie photo out of the window.



Sunday, I had the urge to check out Hillman Marsh.  I had the notion that a Eurasian Wigeon should be around.  However, there were not a huge number of ducks.  I did the long walk, with scope, but I did not spot the European variety of wigeon.

Trumpeter Swans are a regular sight there.  I saw two pairs.




I also went into Point Pelee for a brief period, but it was extremely quiet.

Strangely, later in the afternoon, a Eurasian Wigeon showed up at Hillman!  Go figure.


Today was quite balmy.  I had to go to Corunna, so took my time going up that way.  An Eastern Bluebird was finally at Nicholl's Memorial Forest and Wetland near Wilkesport.  Some wintered there last year, but this was the first one I came across this winter.

Long-tailed Ducks continue to be the dominant duck on the St. Clair River from Courtright and northward.



Quite a few Common Mergansers were around as well.



This afternoon was so nice, I went up to Reid CA for a long walk.  With temps reaching 22 C, I knew there had to be some butterflies out.  I did see three Eastern Commas, but no Mourning Cloaks.



A visit to Reid is not complete without checking out the riverbank for mussels.  Just the usuals again.  Two of my favourites, easily identified.

Deertoe

Mapleleaf



Not many birds, as usual, but this White-breasted Nuthatch was caching some food.


Here is a scene in the "Lilly Bush"  along the river.



Soon, spring wildflowers will be out.  But this fern stayed out all winter!

Christmas Fern





No comments:

Post a Comment