Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Wednesday Wanderings and an Update

 Today was a rather pleasant day.  I visited some local sites such as Brander Park, W. Darcy McKeough CA, Reid CA and Peers Wetland.  At this time, there is not a big variety of birds, but sparrows are plentiful.

There were a few in the floodway at McKeough, including White-crowned.


In the past I have found a multitude of sparrows in the reeds/weeds in the floodway.  There was not much today though.  I was hoping for something rare!

I found a Green Heron in a wet area.  Getting late for them, but with climate change, it is not unusual.


I went for a long walk at Reid CA, as it was quite a pleasant morning.



This time of year is good for fungi.  I saw quite a few different things, but here are a couple.

Rufous Polypore

Pear-shaped Puffball

It was warm enough for some butterflies this morning.  I saw Eastern Comma (several), Red Admiral, and both sulphurs.

Orange Sulphur

Clouded Sulphur

Plants are dying off and trees are changing colour in preparation for the cold season.  It is still quite green at Reid though.

Wood Nettle

This is a scene along the river at the highest point of land in the CA.


Here is a scene we might see a month from now.


At Peers Wetland, birds were much fewer than compared to the last few days.  I found this large insect on the trail.  Not sure what it was praying for.



The sparrow I found at Keith McLean C. L. yesterday has caused quite a stir!  It was refound this morning by Steve Charbonneau and he thought it was likely a LeConte's.

The whole problem was that exhibits some leucism (if that is the correct term).  It has thrown some people off, including myself.  Nelson's and LeConte's are quite similar in appearance, but one has to look for certain differences.

Here is a classic LeConte's I photographed at Forest a few years ago in the fall.



Here is another in spring at Rondeau many years ago that I came across.


And, another in the fall at De Laurier in Point Pelee.  This one was not as colourful.



One observer today managed to get excellent photos (see below) of the subject bird this morning.  Looking closely, the bill is longer and more pointy that what we should see in a LeConte's.  As well, there wings are darker (more rufous), indicating Nelson's.  Although the subject bird shows a hint of a crown stripe, it should be more distinct if it was a LeConte's.

Here is a link to Jack Belleghem's photos on eBird:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S152559011

I was going back and forth on the ID, but now have fully accepted that it was a Nelson's.  Just a crappy-looking one!  I had initially identified it as a Nelson's in the field with no hesitation, but then it was brought to my attention that it may be a LeConte's.

I have seen enough LeConte's and Nelson's over the years to identify them, but this individual was not a textbook case!


No comments:

Post a Comment