Monday, October 23, 2023

More Lakewatches and Walks

 On Saturday I went up to Sarnia for a lakewatch at the parking lot in front of the water plant.  The winds were not all that ideal, but I did not feel like going up to Kettle Point.  The winds were too much west, but here we need a wind directly out of the north for best results.

I did not see anything noteworthy, except a pair of late Caspian Terns.  Latest I have seen some here.  Kettle Point was obviously the better spot, as a Purple Sandpiper, Red Phalarope and some Brant were seen!  I am sure better days are ahead.

I spent less than two hours at the lake, then worked my way back home by stopping at various spots.  Dow Wetlands had a few birds, including this Nashville Warbler.  It was a dismal day, so lighting was bad.


Some Cedar Waxwings were taking advantage of some nearby berries.



Nicholl's Memorial Forest and Wetland at Wilkesport had a somewhat late House Wren. This photo turned out quite well despite the dismal day.


Beavers have been busy in the area here.



Sunday, was a nicer day, but with a stiffer NW wind.  I thought it would be a better day for Kettle Point, so that is where I went!  

(old photo)

There were lots of ducks moving.  I hate trying to count ducks and trying to identify the more distant ones!

White-winged Scoter

We did see two decent types of birds!  Early on, a Black-legged Kittiwake went by.  I never got on it with the camera though.  Not long after, a jaeger suddenly appeared.  It was kind of obvious from the start it was a Pomarine.  Further analysis confirmed our suspicions.



Often, there is not much time to get the camera on things as they buzz by.  Here is what happens when one is not quick enough!



Today, I visited some local spots.  The morning was cloudless, but cold.  We had our first frost of the season overnight.

In the afternoon, I went for another walk through the woods at Reid CA.  The trees are turning nicely.


Hardly any birds, as expected, but I looked at plants and trees.


Moonseed

Along the river, I found a Giant Floater mussel, which is very common here.



I keep an eye out for what is passing through the yard.  This Hermit Thrush was in my yard all day.


You never know what may show up!




No comments:

Post a Comment