Sunday, September 3, 2023

KP Lakewatch and September Sightings

 Last Wednesday there was a decent NNW wind, so I decided to head up to Kettle Point (KP).  By the time I arrived, it was stronger than I anticipated!  Unfortunately it was raining, and remained so much of the stay.

A couple of jaegers and a large flock of Hudsonian Godwits has already been seen before my arrival, so it looked promising.  (There are decent photos on other observer's eBird lists if you want to check them out.)

Interestingly, it turned out that not a lot was moving that day, but eventually we did see more jaegers.  A total of seven Parasitic were tallied, and three or four unidentified.  A single Hudsonian Godwit flew by, and a Red-necked Phalarope struggling in the wind topped the list for notables.

I did not take any photos, as it was quite miserable with the rain most of the watch.  I should have taken a photo of the lake off the point, as it differs completely from what it used to be.

KP in better times

KP from the Reef!

The above photos show the reef that was visible in lower water days.  We could walk out about a kilometre.  None of this is visible today!


Thursday morning was quite nice and I checked out the trail at Mitchell's Bay.  I started at the north end for a change!  A fair number of warblers, but American Redstart seemed to be the most dominant.  One was tail-less!




I look at the garden on sunny days, and a new insect for the list included an Oblique Streaktail.


Lots of Peck's Skippers are appearing.


To kick off September, I went to Erieau on Friday.  Starting at the marsh trail, I found it a bit quiet.  A distant American Golden Plover was in the adjacent field.  Always nice to see.  We seem to find fewer and fewer of these anymore.


It was then on to the lagoons, where there was a good number of shorebirds in the sprinkler cell.  A couple of Pectoral Sandpipers had orange at the base of the bill, which made one look twice.



There were four Baird's, four Stilt and about seven White-rumped Sandpipers among others.



In the middle pond, we spotted two Red-necked Phalaropes doing their thing.  They seem to be having a good year, as many have been seen in several locations.


It was still early in the day, so I headed over to Hillman Marsh for a long walk.  I found it a bit quiet though!  I had no luck in finding notables.  I drove right by a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (again!). Common Checkered-skippers seemed to be more abundant.


Also saw a Red-spotted Purple.


Other birders were out and about around Hillman as well.


At home, an American Painted-Lady was in the garden.


Yesterday was a rather quiet day, checking local spots.  Mosquitoes kept visits short! (way too much rain this summer!).

Lance-tipped Darner at Peers

This Bi-lobed Looper Moth hid well on Evening Primose at Peers Wetland.



Today, I headed down to Rondeau Park for a lakewatch and a walk at south point trail.  With the balmy weather, things were rather quiet.

I came across this little Fox Snake at one point.


I headed home by mid morning, but took a detour over to Thamesville for a quick look at the riverbank.  I found about three Smoky Rubyspots right away in the small area I could access.  River is still running high, so there was not much access.



A nice Shadow Darner was nearby, but it did not pose long enough to get photographed.

Not much happening in the garden today, but a European Drone Fly was new. It was windy, so difficult to get sharp photos.



Here is another bee.

Pugnacious Leafcutter Bee

With southwest winds forecast till the end of the week, there will be little movement from the north.  Perhaps something from the south will appear as a result of the recent hurricane!

🌀


No comments:

Post a Comment