Saturday, August 5, 2023

August Sightings, 'Lifer' CA, and Another Comet

 Autumn migration is well underway, and local resident birds have been getting quieter.  A recent walk at Reid CA seemed quiet, but this resident Scarlet Tanager made an appearance.



The Dukes' Skippers have done well this year, and there are still a few in good shape.  I did not even try to look for them in recent visits....they just popped up on the path!


And its cousin the Broad-winged Skipper was waiting for me as well.



At one point, I spotted this Clymene Moth, rather unique-looking.



At Peers Wetland I have seen fledged young of several species.  Eastern Kingbirds among them.



A couple of days ago, I wanted to check out Strathroy Conservation Area, a place I had never visited.  A "lifer" CA!

I was quite impressed, and it is a rather large area!  Certainly warrants another visit. Among other trails, one can walk around the Sydenham River there.  I was more interested in insects, but there were a few birds including Red-headed Woodpeckers.

Some of the less-common insects included Blue-tipped.



Violet Dancer is also present.

Bluets included Familiar, the most common species.



There were practically no dragonflies, except a few Common Whitetails.

After checking out this place, I headed over to the lagoons.  It was rather quiet for birds compared to my last visit, but a few shorebirds were working the mud.


Since Shetland was on the way home, I had to stop there once again!  I was bound and determined to find a Dusky Dancer or two.  I spent quite a bit of time there with no luck, but eventually I spotted a suspicious candidate.  It was in a very difficult spot, but it was indeed a Dusky Dancer!



So, at least I saw one!

All the other usual creatures were present.  It is such a good place for diversity.

Flag-tailed Spinyleg (3 of these!)

Black-shouldered Spinyleg

Blue-ringed Dancers

Powdered Dancer

Violet Dancer



Friday, I headed down into Essex County to visit John R. Park Homestead.  The previous day, a Little Blue Heron was found.  It has been a long time since I have seen one, so I thought I would try.  It had been seen at first light, but it flew off, not to be seen again.  Unfortunately I came away empty-handed.

I decided to go into Point Pelee on my way home.  It was terribly quiet for birds, but again my focus was insects.  They too were scarce.

Along west beach trail, I came across an obliging Wandering Glider.



Soon after, a large dragonfly with a red abdomen flew right in front of me.  I looked to my right to see a Comet Darner!  Luckily it perched just off the trail.  This was the first time I have seen one perched.



To see a Comet Darner always makes for a good day.  This was the second one I have seen at Point Pelee--the first one just last summer, but on the fly.

Butterflies were very scarce.  It is concerning, as that has been the trend everywhere this year.  There are many factors, but one thing that bothers me is that there is too much spraying on roadsides and agricultural fields.  Some seem oblivious to the damage that is being done.

Eastern Comma



Other insects included this Bee Fly.  Not sure which particular species yet though.




Today was a lazy day, I checked out Peers Wetland for birds (lots of fledged ones).  It was early in the day, so insects were limited.  Some newly emerged Least Skippers were evident.




No comments:

Post a Comment