Saturday, June 17, 2023

Case of the Cassin's

 Continuing on from my short visit to the Bruce Peninsula, I was heading south on highway 21 when word came out that the Cassin's Kingbird had been found again near Pelee Wings.  I was still not certain I would go for it!

As mentioned, it was mistakenly identified by inexperienced birders the day before as a Western Kingbird.  A similar-looking bird, but there are things to look for to differentiate Cassin's vs. Western.

In any case, Cassin's is a mega-rarity for Ontario as there have been seven accepted records up to 2021.

I did not rush south, as I stopped at various places, something that I had intended to do originally on this trip.  I first pulled into Goderich harbour where there appeared to be hundreds of gulls out on the jetty.  I was not going to sort through them!  Anyway, one has to pay to park down at the harbour now, which seems to be the unfortunate and inconvenient trend anywhere anymore.

Continuing south, I next stopped for a brief visit at Ausable River Cut CA.  There were lots of mussels to sort through along the riverbank, but I did not take much time there.  Probably because I knew was going to end up at Pelee!

I saw the usuals, and one stood out.  I had no idea it was one of the really rare ones, called a Snuffbox.  It was my first find of this species!



Others included Three-Ridge, Mapleleaf, Pimpleback and Deertoe among other common ones.

Pimpleback


I will have to spend more time here soon, but there are too many places to go this time of year.

Next top was a bit closer to home at Shetland CA boat launch.  It was a bit early for Blue-ringed Dancer and Dusky Dancer, but I wanted to check it out.  I was only seeing Stream Bluets here.  It is a fabulous spot for studying odonates, worth another visit or two.



Stream Bluet


Another stop was at Reid CA to check on the situation for hairstreaks.  A bit early yet this year it seemed for Oak Hairstreak, as things are a bit late blooming.  Perhaps tomorrow!

It was then on to the Pelee area.  Upon arrival there were many birders present as expected.  The Cassin's Kingbird was seen right away, but was in a shaded area and not super close.  So, photos leave a bit to be desired with my camera.





I managed good looks at the bird, then left as there was one more thing on the agenda.  Dickcissels had finally showed up, seemingly a tad later than usual.  Had to go see one!

I saw one on the 4th line near Stevenson that was reported earlier.


Going home, I went by another spot I knew would have one, and sure enough a male was singing in the pasture.  Turns out there were multiple spots that day that Dickcissels were found!

One more thing of note, last Monday I went looking for the reported Laughing Gull at Keith McLean C. L.  It was a no-show, but a similar bird was there, namely a Franklin's Gull!  A good consolation in any case on a very gloomy morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment