Sunday, May 28, 2023

Winding Down As June Approaches

 The bulk of migrants have gone through, but still lots to see and potential for good birds or rarities. Other things to look at soon!

This past Thursday, I started at Erieau and saw nothing of note (again).  The stiff east wind did not help matters though.  Seems to be better later in the day there!

I then headed over to Wheatley Harbour where some shorebirds were on the beach.  An oddity was amongst them!  A Ruddy Turnstone hybrid had been seen the last couple of days in the area.  Speculation it is the result of an encounter with a White-rumped Sandpiper, but I have no idea.  Stood out among the crowd in any case.






Gull numbers have been skimpy lately, but a long-staying Iceland Gull was on the beach.  This bird has been around since early spring.  Some have mistakenly called it a Glaucous due to its superficial appearance and size, but it is an Iceland approaching 3rd cycle.





I then decided to go into Point Pelee.  There was nothing of note (again) to my eyes.  Seems that I pick the wrong day every time to go there.  I have better luck at Rondeau!


While there, I noticed the Cuyahoga anchored off Kingsville.  The day before, it suffered an engine room fire and they actually called out a May-Day request. Fortunately it was not that bad, but has probably ended the career of this vessel.  It is (or was) the oldest operating laker left, built in 1943.


It is currently lingering in Kingsville awaiting its fate.

Friday it down to Rondeau for probably the last time in a while.  I wanted to walk out south beach with Red Knot as the target bird.  There were lots of shorebirds out there in the distance, but by the time I got to the best location, they had thinned out.

Quite a few Whimbrel made a brief appearance.

At one point I thought I saw a flock of Red Knots, but it was too distant.  Never saw it again, but I did see at least one Red Knot.  At one point, it flew right in front of me, then I saw it again at a distance.  Unable to get a photo though, but goal achieved!

A Greater Yellowlegs was also out there.



Always kept an eye out for mussels, but I saw only the usual types.  Mostly quite worn.

Fatmucket

There were still a few migrants along the trail.

Thrush with Grey cheeks

Was hoping to get on an Olive-sided Flycatcher, but they too seen scarce so far this year.  Not many reported.

Another Blanding's Turtle caught my eye in one of the sloughs.



Afterwards, I wandered over to Clear Creek to see what was going on.  Not a good time of day, and I got skunked on birds.

Skunk Cabbage

Yesterday, I stayed fairly local and went for a walk at Reid CA first thing.  A few migrants still trickling through.

Just as I ended my walk, I noticed blackbirds chasing a raptor along the river about a kilometre away.  As far as I could tell, it was a Red-tailed Hawk, but all white!  Too bad it did not come closer.


Later, I went out to Mitchell's Bay for a walk.  Always potential there at some point.  These turtles were putting themselves on the map by sheer numbers.


Today it was NE towards Strathroy.  I wanted to see Upland Sandpiper, but got skunked on that too.  They certainly seem scarcer this year.  They are are almost a guarantee in that area, but obviously there are not many around this year.  Not a good sign.

I then headed down to Skunk's Misery where I found some birds.  Usual ones though.  Lots of Hooded Warblers (~10 singing males) and a couple of Acadian Flycatchers.

At one point, I noticed a female Scarlet Tanager building a nest.

Some trees/shrubs in the area:

American Chestnut

Flowering Dogwood

Alternate-leaved Dogwood




No comments:

Post a Comment